Postgresql crash- any ideas?

From
Michael Guerin
Date:
Postgresql just reset itself, this is what I found in the log.

FATAL:  block 26 of 1663/17228/3425958479 is still referenced (local 2)
LOG:  server process (PID 1887) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

There wasn't much activity in the database at the time.  A vacuum on the entire database finished 5 minutes before this
errorand a vacuum of pg_attribute was in-progresss.   re-vacuuming pg_attribute was ok.

pg version: 8 beta3

I only found this reference so far:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2004-09/msg00029.php

-michael

Re: Postgresql crash- any ideas?

> Postgresql just reset itself, this is what I found in the log.
> FATAL:  block 26 of 1663/17228/3425958479 is still referenced (local 2)
> LOG:  server process (PID 1887) exited with exit code 1
> LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

> pg version: 8 beta3

You sure that's beta3?  Because we reduced that error condition from
FATAL to ERROR between beta2 and beta3.  (And fixed the bug I think
you hit, too.)

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Michael Guerin <guerin@rentec.com> writes:
>

>>Postgresql just reset itself, this is what I found in the log.
>>FATAL:  block 26 of 1663/17228/3425958479 is still referenced (local 2)
>>LOG:  server process (PID 1887) exited with exit code 1
>>LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
>>

>>pg version: 8 beta3
>>

>You sure that's beta3?  Because we reduced that error condition from
>FATAL to ERROR between beta2 and beta3.  (And fixed the bug I think
>you hit, too.)
>
>            regards, tom lane

fiasco=> select version();
                                         version
 PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)
(1 row)

Re: Postgresql crash- any ideas?

Date:
Michael Guerin <guerin@rentec.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michael Guerin <guerin@rentec.com> writes:
>>> Postgresql just reset itself, this is what I found in the log.
>>> FATAL:  block 26 of 1663/17228/3425958479 is still referenced (local 2)
>>
>> You sure that's beta3?  Because we reduced that error condition from
>> FATAL to ERROR between beta2 and beta3.

>  PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)

Well, I'd sure be interested to see a test case to reproduce it, then.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql crash- any ideas?