Cannot Create tables - on Windows XP

From
ishaame@bluewin.ch
Date:
I have installed Postgresql 8.0 bet3 successfully. But whenever I want to
create a table, be it with psql or pgAdminIII, I get the following error
message: "Error:syntax error at or near "("".
Could anyone help.

Thanks in advance
Ibrahim Shaamne

Re: Cannot Create tables - on Windows XP

From
ishaame@bluewin.ch
Date:
Thanks.
I think I had syntax  wrong while creating a table under psql. Now I have
managed to create a table. But the problem persists under pgAdminIII. Here
is the SQL created by pgAdminIII when attempting to create a table under
it:

CREATE TABLE "Maneno"
(
   "Neno" "char"(50),
   "Neno_Asilia" "char"(50) NOT NULL,
   "Lugha_ya_Neno" "char"(20) NOT NULL,
   "Tafsiri_Neno" "char"(60),
   "Lugha_ya_Tafsiri" "char"(20)
) WITHOUT OIDS;
ALTER TABLE "Maneno" OWNER TO ibrahim;

Unfortunately I cannot edit the  created SQL

Thanks
Ibrahim

Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2004, at 3:46 PM, ishaame@bluewin.ch wrote:
>
>> I have installed Postgresql 8 beta3 on my windows machine, and everytime
>> I issue a commond to create a table I get  this message "Error: syntax
error
>> at or near "(" "  I get this message in both pgsql and pgAdminIII.
>>
>> Could anyone out there help.
>

> I'm willing to help, but without seeing the actual command you're using
to try to create a table, it's really hard. Could you show a complete example
of what you're doing?

Date:
On Oct 27, 2004, at 6:33 PM, ishaame@bluewin.ch wrote:

> I think I had syntax  wrong while creating a table under psql. Now I
> have
> managed to create a table.

Glad to hear you got it working in psql!

> But the problem persists under pgAdminIII. Here
> is the SQL created by pgAdminIII when attempting to create a table
> under
> it:

Unfortunately, I have no experience with PgAdminIII. I don't know if
it's been updated to work with v8.0 (though I'm sure there are plans to
do so if it hasn't been done already).

>    "Neno" "char"(50),

It appears the problem is with the quotes around "char". I've never
seen types quoted like this before (though that doesn't mean it's not
valid). Removing the double quotes allowed it to work on my 8.0beta1
install.

However, like you said, you probably can't change the SQL generated by
PgAdminIII. I'm curious to read what people experience with PgAdminIII
have to say.

Good luck,

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com