Installation problem...

From
"Alexander Jochum"
Date:
Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask for installation help...

Ok I followed the Installation steps and stuck with compiling or better with the configuration
of the environment.... I can start ./configure but then it'll tell me that I don't have installed
the readline libraries.. So I've searched the web and downloaded the latest source code of
the readline libraries and followed the steps of it's Installation manual..

Which version of readline do I need to compile the postgres sources sucessfull ??
I've downloaded and installed version 5.0 ...

The files of readline can be found in: /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include etc.

when I try to tell configure with the parameter "--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib" where it can find
the libraries it won't work too... so what am I doing wrong ?!?

I know it's possible to compile without the readline libraries but I want to compile with them...

I'm using Suse Linux 9.0...

THX

Re: Installation problem...

From
Lars Haugseth
Date:
* Alexander Jochum:
| Hello,
|
| I hope this is the right place to ask for installation help...
|
| Ok I followed the Installation steps and stuck with compiling or better
| with the configuration of the environment.... I can start ./configure but
| then it'll tell me that I don't have installed the readline libraries.. So
| I've searched the web and downloaded the latest source code of the readline
| libraries and followed the steps of it's Installation manual..

[snip]

| I'm using Suse Linux 9.0...

Try installing the readline and readline-devel RPMs that came with SuSE 9.0.
That works for me.

If you don't have the SuSE installation media readily available, you can get
the RPMs here (assuming your server is running on an Intel 32-bit platform):

 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/i586/readline-4.3-212.i586.rpm
 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/i586/readline-devel-4.3-212.i586.rpm

--
Lars Haugseth

Re: Installation problem...

Date:
"Alexander Jochum" <DarkCloud14@web.de> writes:
> Which version of readline do I need to compile the postgres sources sucessfull ??
> I've downloaded and installed version 5.0 ...

Should work.

> The files of readline can be found in: /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include etc.

> when I try to tell configure with the parameter "--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib" where it can find
> the libraries it won't work too... so what am I doing wrong ?!?

You also need something like "--with-includes=/usr/local/include"

> I'm using Suse Linux 9.0...

Hmm, when using gcc I'd expect it to look in /usr/local without any
prodding.  Define "won't work" --- what happens exactly when you
run configure?  If it fails at one of the readline probing steps,
let's see the corresponding part of config.log, not just the terminal
output.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installation problem...

From
"Alexander Jochum"
Date:
>> Which version of readline do I need to compile the postgres sources sucessfull ??
>> I've downloaded and installed version 5.0 ...
>
>Should work.
>
>> The files of readline can be found in: /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include etc.
>
>> when I try to tell configure with the parameter "--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib" where it can find
>> the libraries it won't work too... so what am I doing wrong ?!?
>
>You also need something like "--with-includes=/usr/local/include"

I know I've tried it with both parameters too but without luck....

>> I'm using Suse Linux 9.0...
>
>Hmm, when using gcc I'd expect it to look in /usr/local without any
>prodding.  Define "won't work" --- what happens exactly when you
>run configure?  If it fails at one of the readline probing steps,
>let's see the corresponding part of config.log, not just the terminal
>output.

Ok, I've uploaded the complete log file on my webspace you can find it here:

http://www.darkcloud14.de/config.log

Maybe someone of you know what else could be the problem..

Ohh and no I haven't tried Suses RPM files yet... (it's an old version ;-)  )

THX
Alex

Re: Installation problem...

Date:
"Alexander Jochum" <DarkCloud14@web.de> writes:
> Ok, I've uploaded the complete log file on my webspace you can find it here:

> http://www.darkcloud14.de/config.log

> Maybe someone of you know what else could be the problem..

Looks like you are missing libtermcap (or one of its substitutes such as
libcurses).  Not sure how you managed to build libreadline without the
required other library, but that's what the error messages say.

            regards, tom lane