New installation of 8.0 Beta1 Failed to create process for initdb: 1385

From
"Chris Means"
Date:
Hi,

Saw the new Beta of PostgreSQL had a Windows installer, so I took a stab at
it.

My machine is running Windows XP on a Dell 2GHz 512MB RAM laptop.

I ran the postgresql-8.0-beta1-20040809.msi installer.

I went with the defaults for what to install.

I told the installer to create the Service.  Received confirmation dialogs
that the new user id was created, it used an autogenerated password.

Everything looked good right up to the very end (the progress bar was full
or just about full), then got the following error:

"Failed to create process for initdb: 1385"

And it rolled back everything...that was nice <g>.

If it was able to create the NT Service, I'd assume that meant that I had
enough rights to get everything installed correctly.

The "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1" folder is still there, an empty
"data" folder below that, and a "tmp" folder that has an initdb.bat, and
initdb.pwd file.

The PWD file has the password I assigned to the superuser:  postgres

Any ideas what's wrong?

Are there log files anywhere for me to look at?

Thanks.

-Chris

[snip]
> If it was able to create the NT Service, I'd assume that meant that I had
> enough rights to get everything installed correctly.

That is an incorrect assumption.
> The "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1" folder is still there, an empty
> "data" folder below that, and a "tmp" folder that has an initdb.bat, and
> initdb.pwd file.
>
> The PWD file has the password I assigned to the superuser:  postgres
>
> Any ideas what's wrong?
Make sure you have administrative rights and not just a power user.

> Are there log files anywhere for me to look at?
Check the event viewer in windows.

Mike

> Thanks.
>
> -Chris

Re: New installation of 8.0 Beta1 Failed to create process for initdb: 1385

From
"Chris Means"
Date:
Mike,

Thanks for the response:

I'm confident that I have administrative rights, but to be sure that that
wasn't the issue, I logged in as the Administrator, and received exactly the
same error.

FYI:  The "NT Service" userid "postgres" wasn't removed during the rollback,
so future installs failed early until I removed the previous configured user
id.

> > Are there log files anywhere for me to look at?
> Check the event viewer in windows.

Nothing additional there, just the same error message.

-Chris

Ok,

Did the installation successfully create the user account postgres?

That is the account that initdb runs under.  Not sure if it automatically deletes it if the install fails.

Mike

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:58:17PM -0500, Chris Means wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the response:

Date:
Like I said, the "postgres" user id is there.

If that doesn't mean it was created "successfully", what would I look for to
know for sure?

CAn you log off and log back into windows under the postgres account?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:17:42AM -0500, Chris Means wrote:
> Like I said, the "postgres" user id is there.
>
> If that doesn't mean it was created "successfully", what would I look for to
> know for sure?

Date:
I tried, but I got an error message that indicated that that user id
(postgres) has a policy that prohibits an interactive logon/session.

Date:
Sounds like you will have to manually create the postgres user account
before running the install again then.

Mike