take endless time to MAKE on RH Linux 9

From
"Max Chu"
Date:
Hi,
I am trying to install Postgresql 7.4.3 on RedHat Linux 9.
After I finished ./configure, I typed 'gmake', then it began to check.
It shows 'checking for int ... yes' and a list of checking results. After a while,
I noticed it looped back to 'checking for int ... yes' again. So this MAKE is never
going to end.(there are some results showed 'checking for something ... no').
Could someone tell me what is wrong with it? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Max Chu

Re: take endless time to MAKE on RH Linux 9

From
mike g
Date:
Hello,

It will end just be patient.

I have complied from source the same way with this version before.

Mike

Date:
"Max Chu" <maxc@ausdragon.com.au> writes:
> I am trying to install Postgresql 7.4.3 on RedHat Linux 9.
> After I finished ./configure, I typed 'gmake', then it began to check.
> It shows 'checking for int ... yes' and a list of checking results. After a=
>  while,
> I noticed it looped back to 'checking for int ... yes' again. So this MAKE =
> is never
> going to end.

Check your system clock.  "make" gets very confused if it builds a
derived file and finds that the timestamp on the derived file
is still before the timestamp of the source file ...

            regards, tom lane