UNIX timestamps

From
Eduardo Vázquez Rodríguez

Hi everyone out there using Postgres

Is there a data type or function in Postgres to handle UNIX timestamps?

I have to handle datea in unix timestamp format like this 1079092862.453 and I would like to be inserted in human readable way

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advanced

Re: UNIX timestamps

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:38, Eduardo Vázquez Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi everyone out there using Postgres
>
> Is there a data type or function in Postgres to handle UNIX
> timestamps?
>
> I have to handle datea in unix timestamp format like this
> 1079092862.453 and I would like to be inserted in human readable way
>
> Any suggestions are welcome

Do you need speed or precision?

For max speed, use an int4 and drop the non-integer part.

For good speed, use floats.  They're pretty close and fair to middling
on performance.

For best precision, but slowest speeds, use numeric(18,3) or something
like that.  Whatever the maximum size you have to deal with.