postgres account default password

From
Yves
Date:
Hello,

I recently set up a small Mandrake 10 box that I want
to use as a DB server....

I tried to log in to postgres through ssh and trough
webmin and I'm not sure what the default password is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Yves

Re: postgres account default password

From
Frank Bax
Date:
At 01:57 PM 7/15/04, Yves wrote:
>I recently set up a small Mandrake 10 box that I want
>to use as a DB server....
>
>I tried to log in to postgres through ssh and trough
>webmin and I'm not sure what the default password is.

Login as yourself, 'su' to root, then 'su' to postgres (there will be no
password prompt), then change the password.

Re: postgres account default password

From
"Felix E. Klee"
Date:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:57:44 -0400 (EDT) Yves wrote:
> I tried to log in to postgres through ssh and trough
> webmin and I'm not sure what the default password is.

Why don't you login as a normal user, become root, and then change the
password of the postgres user?

Felix

Re: postgres account default password

From
Julian Leyh
Date:
ok, here for the list.. sorry..

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:31:26 -0400
Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Login as yourself, 'su' to root, then 'su' to postgres (there will be
> no password prompt), then change the password.

better: use sudo(8).
for example: sudo -u postgres psql foobar

no need to enter root password.

cu
JRL

--
visit my OpenBSD ports page: http://vgai.de/ports
--

Re: postgres account default password

From
Yves
Date:
Thanks fo the replies,

I changed the password of the postgres account and
still cannot log in...

Should the root account be like an administrative
account having all rights and privileges within the
postgres server?

Thanks,

Yves

--- Julian Leyh <oenone@oenone.de> wrote: > ok, here

Date:
At 07:26 AM 7/16/04, Yves wrote:
>I changed the password of the postgres account and
>still cannot log in...

vipw

check to see if postgres user has a shell.  If its something like /bin
false, change it to something like /bin/bash - or your favorite shell.

Re: postgres account default password

From
Yves
Date:
Thanks for the response,

It was set to /bin/bash already...

It was the webmin console that was a problem, I
'synced' it with the unix user and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help!

I'm quite new to postgres, I used MySQL a bit before,
I've heard it said that PostgreSQL was a very secure
server... I'm interested in checking it out.

Yves

--- Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca> wrote: > At 07:26 AM
7/16/04, Yves wrote:
> >I changed the password of the postgres account and
> >still cannot log in...
>

> vipw
>
> check to see if postgres user has a shell.  If its
> something like /bin
> false, change it to something like /bin/bash - or
> your favorite shell.

> cleanly

How to convert?

From
Yves
Date:
Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone has every come across a
program (or a way to do this) that would convert an
access database into postgres.

I have this small Access db that I would very much
like that convert into postgres...

I have this small program that converts into an sql
dump file specifically for MySQL, I've been told that
the autoincrement directions in the file would not be
compatible with Postgres. Is that correct?

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Yves Arsenault

Re: How to convert?

From
Ron St-Pierre
Yves wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has every come across a
>program (or a way to do this) that would convert an
>access database into postgres.

pgAdmin has a plugin which does this. I've used it with an earlier
version of pgAdmin about 2 years ago with good results.

>I have this small Access db that I would very much
>like that convert into postgres...
>
>I have this small program that converts into an sql
>dump file specifically for MySQL, I've been told that
>the autoincrement directions in the file would not be
>compatible with Postgres. Is that correct?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Yves Arsenault

>Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Ron St-Pierre

Re: How to convert?

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre@syscor.com> wrote:
> Yves wrote:
>
> >Hello again,
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone has every come across a
> >program (or a way to do this) that would convert an
> >access database into postgres.
> >
> pgAdmin has a plugin which does this. I've used it
> with an earlier
> version of pgAdmin about 2 years ago with good
> results.

I've had good results with it too.  But the plugin
only exists for pgAdminII, not for pgAdminIII, which
is the newest version.  But I think you can still find
pgAdminII by searching for it.