using 'count' to show number of dupes

From
Andy Harrison
Date:
I'm writing some perl to sendmail maillog reporting.  Since the logs
are too big to some of the things I want to do, I'm just stuffing it
to a pgsql db.  I'd like to offload as much of the work onto the db as
much as possible.

How can I use count to show rows with the same value in the column?

col1   col2   col3
foo1   bar1   baz1
foo2   bar1   baz2
foo3   bar2   baz3
foo4   bar3   baz4
foo5   bar1   baz5
foo6   bar2   baz6

So, what would get pg to show me that col2 has 3 'bar1' values, 2
'bar2' values and 1 'bar1' value.

--
Andy Harrison

Re: using 'count' to show number of dupes

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Andy Harrison wrote:

> I'm writing some perl to sendmail maillog reporting.  Since the logs
> are too big to some of the things I want to do, I'm just stuffing it
> to a pgsql db.  I'd like to offload as much of the work onto the db as
> much as possible.
>
> How can I use count to show rows with the same value in the column?
>
> col1   col2   col3
> foo1   bar1   baz1
> foo2   bar1   baz2
> foo3   bar2   baz3
> foo4   bar3   baz4
> foo5   bar1   baz5
> foo6   bar2   baz6
>

> So, what would get pg to show me that col2 has 3 'bar1' values, 2
> 'bar2' values and 1 'bar1' value.

Something like:
select col2, count(*) from table group by col2;

Re: using 'count' to show number of dupes

From
"Loftis, Charles E"
Date:
Write a queries like this...

   SELECT col1, count(col1) as count_col1
   FROM <table>
   GROUP BY col1

I'm writing some perl to sendmail maillog reporting.  Since the logs are too
big to some of the things I want to do, I'm just stuffing it to a pgsql db.
I'd like to offload as much of the work onto the db as much as possible.

How can I use count to show rows with the same value in the column?

col1   col2   col3
foo1   bar1   baz1
foo2   bar1   baz2
foo3   bar2   baz3
foo4   bar3   baz4
foo5   bar1   baz5
foo6   bar2   baz6

So, what would get pg to show me that col2 has 3 'bar1' values, 2 'bar2'
values and 1 'bar1' value.

--
Andy Harrison

Re: using 'count' to show number of dupes

From
Andy Harrison
Date:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:39:00 -0700 (PDT), Stephan Szabo
<sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:

> Something like:
> select col2, count(*) from table group by col2;

Great, thanx.  That got me on the right road.  Fast too.  Several mere
seconds for 1.25M rows.

--
Andy Harrison