connect from network PC

From
"Robert Morgan"
Date:
Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked to my other (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to connect to them from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this error message:

 Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I realise this a DBTools error message but does anyone have any ideas?

I have a mysql server running on the same RH pc and can connect to the MySql databases without a problem.

Thanks

Bob

Re: connect from network PC

From
"M. Bastin"
Date:
I don't know dbtools but this sounds as if you simply entered the
wrong IP address.  You have to connect to the IP address of your
linux box, not to localhost.

This sounds much too simple as a problem though so blame my ignorance
on dbtools for this reply..  ;-)

Marc

At 10:48 PM +1300 3/19/04, Robert Morgan wrote:
>Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked
>to my other (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to
>connect to them from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this
>error message:

>could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>  Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP
>connections on port 5432?
>
>I realise this a DBTools error message but does anyone have any ideas?
>
>I have a mysql server running on the same RH pc and can connect to
>the MySql databases without a problem.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob

Re: connect from network PC

Date:
"Robert Morgan" <robert_@ihug.co.nz> writes:
> Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked to my o=
> ther (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to connect to the=
> m from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this error message:

> onnection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>  Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP connection=
> s on port 5432?

Did you tell Postgres to accept network connections?  (-i switch on
postmaster command line, or set tcpip_socket true in postgresql.conf;
note you must restart postmaster to make this change effective.)  Keep
in mind also that you will need to change pg_hba.conf to allow such
connections, but it sounds right now like the postmaster isn't listening
on the TCP socket at all.

            regards, tom lane

Re: connect from network PC

From
"Robert Morgan"
> > Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked to
my o=
> > ther (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to connect to
the=
> > m from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this error message:

server: C=
> > onnection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
> >  Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP
connection=
> > s on port 5432?
>
> Did you tell Postgres to accept network connections?  (-i switch on
> postmaster command line, or set tcpip_socket true in postgresql.conf;
> note you must restart postmaster to make this change effective.)  Keep
> in mind also that you will need to change pg_hba.conf to allow such
> connections, but it sounds right now like the postmaster isn't listening
> on the TCP socket at all.
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: connect from network PC

From
"Robert Morgan"
Date:
Thanks, everything running ok now

Bob

bob_bamber@hotmail.com (Bob)
Date:
robert @ihug.co.nz ("Robert Morgan") wrote in message news:<005b01c40d97$5f098a20$0200a8c0@hyde>...
> Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked to my o
> ther (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to connect to the
> m from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this error message:

> onnection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>  Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP connection
> s on port 5432?
>
> I realise this a DBTools error message but does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I have a mysql server running on the same RH pc and can connect to the MySq
> l databases without a problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob
> --

I've seen this message a few times and in each case it was because
postgres wasn't configured to accept TCP/IP connections.

Hope that helps.

Bob.