installing postgre

From
Lduren02@aol.com
Date:
I began with a laptop, installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. I do not know
what is included or not on this version. I downloaded some RPMs from
RedHat.com and used tech support to install all of them. I do not know what
all the RPM does, whether it goes to completion or just unzips some
compressed files. I found a book about PostgreSQL for a previous version and
used it. After using Red Hat technical support I used the book. I modified
the bash_profile for user account postgres, and my personal user account
according to instructions in the book. I get error messages concerning these
files.

I am kind of lost about PostgreSQL but if you will help me I will
persevere.

I have some error messages when trying to create a database using the
command: createdb "mydb".

Error message for both of those commands:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server
running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket
"tmp.PGSQL.5432"?
createuser: creation of user "username" failed.

Or if I am trying to create a database I get the error message similar to
above but last line says: createdb: database creation failed.

I have created a user account called postgre, without the s on the end. I
do not know what ramifications this has.

I noticed after mistyping "postgre" that the username "postgres" was already
created.

The version I have installed in 7.3.

Thank you for helping me. Please email me and tell me what I need to do to
get it running.

Lee

Re: installing postgre

Date:
Lduren02@aol.com writes:
> I began with a laptop, installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. I do not know
> what is included or not on this version.

RHEL3 by default includes only the client-side programs for Postgres,
not the Postgres server.  If you want to run a self-contained database
then you need the server packages too.  IIRC you can get them off the
"extras" CD, or via Red Hat Network.

After you've installed the software you need to run initdb and then
start the database server.  See the Postgres administrator's
documentation for details.

            regards, tom lane