Get error during initdb

From
"Olaf Meding"
Date:
Any suggestions as to why I can not initialize the database (see error
below) are greatly appreciated.

I am new to PostgreSQL.  I am using W2K, Cygwin, and within Cygwin
PostgreSQL 7.4.1-2.

Olaf

omeding@santorini ~
$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "omeding".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... FATAL:  could
not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1081344, 03600).

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

omeding@santorini ~
$

Re: Get error during initdb

Date:
"Olaf Meding" <OlafMeding@noSpam.compuserve.com> writes:
> I am new to PostgreSQL.  I am using W2K, Cygwin, and within Cygwin
> PostgreSQL 7.4.1-2.

You need to enable the cygipc code to run PG under Cygwin.  This is
explained somewhere in the docs, but not being a Cygwin user, I'm
not sure exactly where...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Get error during initdb

From
George Weaver
Date:
Olaf,

Check out the following readme for assistance with this problem:

http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.4.1.README

You need to make sure that you are using the right version of cygipc, that
it is running, and that you have set the file permissions correctly.

Regards,
George