I have installed the PostgreSQL-7.4beta5 version (the only package I
could get to install from source under Mac OS X Panther) and everything
worked find. However, when I start postmaster and try to create
database "test" I got this error.

createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  The data
directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.4, which is not
compatible with this version 7.3.3.

I am assuming this means template1 was created by version 7.3.3, my
previous version. Is this assumption correct? How can I fix this
problem?

Thanks for any help.
Philip D Riggs

Philip,

> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  The data
> directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.4, which is not
> compatible with this version 7.3.3.

Looks like you have a 7.3.3 version of postmaster on your system somewhere,
and are trying to start that after doing initdb under 7.4.  Hunt down and
remove the duplicate pg executables and you should be fine.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions