OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From
"D. Spoon"
Date:
Hi list,

This may be a little off topic, but I would certainly
appreciate everyone's feedback. I want to start
learning to use PostgreSQL, and I have an extra PC at
home I wish to install PostgreSQL on for this very
purpose. My question: what OS would people recommend?
The PC is an old AMD-K2 running at 333MHz (I could be
mistaken), and it has 256MB RAM, and a ~5 GB HDD.

Currently, it has NT4.0 SP6 installed, but I would be
willing to install an OS from scratch. I am looking
for something that is (relatively) easy to install,
and is a platform that it is (relatively) easy to
install PostgrSQL on as well. I run the machine
"headless," so there has to be a way to telnet or SSH
in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

--
D. Spoon

Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Date:
Hi !

I'd say you want a linux box ! Standard RedHat is a good start.

BR,

Aarni

--
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Megative Tmi

Pääsintie 26
45100 Kouvola
FINLAND

www.kymi.com / cfm.kymi.com

aarni.ruuhimaki@kymi.com / info@kymi.com

+358-5-3755 035 / +358-50-4910 037
Linux RedHat / KDE
Open Source: Millions of open minds can't be wrong

Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From
Al Hulaton
Date:
> I want to start
> learning to use PostgreSQL, and I have an extra PC at
> home I wish to install PostgreSQL on for this very
> purpose. My question: what OS would people recommend?
> The PC is an old AMD-K2 running at 333MHz (I could be
> mistaken), and it has 256MB RAM, and a ~5 GB HDD.

If you're in the States, go Red Hat 9. If you're in Europe, SuSE. Those
tend to be the most popular in their respective locales, assuming you're
learning linux and PostgreSQL with a view towards employment in the near
future. Side note, Red Hat allows you to download ISOs and free SuSE is
an ftp install. I don't know if you have a fast net connection, but this
also may play a role in choosing a distro.

Whichever way you go, you won't be setting any land-speed records with
your AMD, but you'll be using it as a learning server anyway so no
worries. And yes, you can SSH into that server just fine. I run an old
Dell at home headless the same way. Had to use a monitor in the install,
but that's about it -- only two cables going into it now are power and
ethernet.

Welcome to the fold!
--
Best,
Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From
Nabil Sayegh
Date:
D. Spoon wrote:
> and is a platform that it is (relatively) easy to
> install PostgrSQL on as well. I run the machine
> "headless," so there has to be a way to telnet or SSH
> in.
>
> Any suggestions?

The easiest is for sure Debian:

Just type:
apt-get install postgresql

That's it. It will automatically check for dependencies
and get everything needed to run postgresql automatically.

The installation could be done by a chicken (Just pick enter).

HTH
--
  e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
  Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539

Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Spoon,

> Currently, it has NT4.0 SP6 installed, but I would be
> willing to install an OS from scratch. I am looking
> for something that is (relatively) easy to install,
> and is a platform that it is (relatively) easy to
> install PostgrSQL on as well. I run the machine
> "headless," so there has to be a way to telnet or SSH
> in.

The two most popular OSes for PostgreSQL are Linux and BSD.  There is some
arguement about which is best for running the database, but you're interested
in "easy to install", so that means Linux.

SuSE Linux and Mandrake Linux both come with full-featured graphical
installers.   Additionaly, SuSE's admin tool, YAST, has begun winning awards
for ease-of-use in recent versions.   Red Hat Linux also comes with easy
setup tools, but Red Hat has announced that they are discontinuing their
"home" version after 9.0, so I don't think you want to go with Red Hat.

Debian Linux certainly makes the install of PostgreSQL easy.  However, I'm not
sure that the install of Debian Linux is so easy.   SuSE Linux gives you GUI
setups for disk formatting, raid, LVM, and hardware configuration.   I don't
know how mush of this is automated on Debian.

Regardless of which Linux distribution you use, you'll want to install
software called "VNC" in addition to SSH.   VNC allows you remote graphical
access to the desktop on the linux server if you want to use KDE/Gnome
widgets.   VNC clients are available for Windows; I recommend TightVNC.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
--- Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> The two most popular OSes for PostgreSQL are Linux
> and BSD.  There is some
> arguement about which is best for running the
> database, but you're interested
> in "easy to install", so that means Linux.

Thanks to Josh and all the others who replied. I have
a friend who old me to go with Red Hat, but as
mentioned, it looks like it's being discontinued. So I
went with their "Fedora" distribution (Test 3,
"Severn"). Even though it's beta, it was a snap to
install.

I had a little trouble getting PostgreSQL to run, but
a quick go at Google solved everything in just a few
minutes.

One thing I have to say right off the bat regarding
PostgreSQL -- there's *great* documentation available!
I worked my way through the tutorial last night, and
now it's on to reading the User Guide.

Again, a sincere thanks to everyone that offered
suggestions. I appreciate it.

--
D. Spoon