Getting "connectby" installed

From
Tim Wright
Date:
Hi,

I'm trying to get the "connectby" function installed, but not getting
very far. The root problem is that I didn't really "install" pgsql
originally, but used an RPM - as such I have no real idea how to modify
the existing installation. I'm running Mandrake 9.1.

I'm guessing the first thing I have to do is get hold of the postgresql
source, as I don't appear to have it at the moment. However, then I
have the problem of rebuilding postgre - I'm slightly nervous about
either losing the existing databases or somehow "breaking" the
relationship between php / apache and postgre - is there an idiot's
guide to this sort of thing? As an example of my current ignorance, I'm
not even sure where postgre is installed at the moment!

Once I've worked out how to reinstall pgsql without breaking
everything, it looks like installing the "connectby" function should be
fairly easy, but that first step is currently stalling me...

Cheers,

Tim.

Re: Getting "connectby" installed

From
Nabil Sayegh
Date:
Tim Wright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get the "connectby" function installed, but not getting
> very far. The root problem is that I didn't really "install" pgsql
> originally, but used an RPM - as such I have no real idea how to modify
> the existing installation. I'm running Mandrake 9.1.

There must be an RPM containing the contribs.
Especially, if you already installed the base system by RPM, there MUST
be an additional RPM with the contribs.

Let's see:

http://rpmfind.net
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=postgresql-contrib&submit=Search+...

Hm, I can only find 7.2 RPMs
If your installed version is 7.2, then you _can't_ install connectby
(tablefunc) at all, since it is only supported in >=7.3

Ok, this is what I got from google:

http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:H2gKP4LRNNcJ:rpmfind.rediris.es/rpm2html/postgresql-contrib.html+mandrake+9.1+postgresql-contrib+7.3+rpm&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

Seems like a more up to date rpmfind:

So _maybe_ this package fits your needs:
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/sites/carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-5mdk.i586.rpm

I suggest testing the package on a testing machine.

HTH
--
  e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
  Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539

Date:
On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 01:41  pm, Nabil Sayegh wrote:

> Tim Wright wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to get the "connectby" function installed, but not getting
>> very far. The root problem is that I didn't really "install" pgsql
>> originally, but used an RPM - as such I have no real idea how to
>> modify the existing installation. I'm running Mandrake 9.1.
>
> So _maybe_ this package fits your needs:
> ftp://ftp.rediris.es/sites/carroll.cac.psu.edu/mandrake/9.1/i586/
> Mandrake/RPMS/postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-5mdk.i586.rpm

Looks like the right thing - "psql --version" on my setup reports
version 7.3.2. I'll have a play around this evening when I get in -
many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Tim.

Re: Getting "connectby" installed

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Tim Wright wrote:
> Looks like the right thing - "psql --version" on my setup reports
> version 7.3.2. I'll have a play around this evening when I get in -
> many thanks for your help!

There should be an RPM something like
postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-1PGDG.1 installed. If not, I don't know if it
will work on Mandrake or not, but maybe you can rebuild from the source RPM:
   ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/pgsql/binary/v7.3.2/RPMS/SRPMS/
(BTW, you probably ought to upgrade to 7.3.4)

Once the contrib RPM is installed, you ought to be able to find
tablefunc.sql somewhere. Assuming rpm on Mandrake is similar to Red Hat,
try:
   rpm -ql postgresql-contrib | grep tablefunc.sql

Then direct that file into a database, e.g.:

$ createdb tablefunc
CREATE DATABASE
$ psql tablefunc < /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/tablefunc.sql
SET
SET
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE TYPE
CREATE TYPE
CREATE TYPE
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION

At this point, database "tablefunc" should have connectby() installed
and ready to go.

HTH,

Joe

Re: Getting "connectby" installed

From
Tim Wright
Date:
At 05:17 AM 07/10/2003 , Joe Conway wrote:

[snip]

>At this point, database "tablefunc" should have connectby() installed
>and ready to go.

Yep, it's all installed and working perfectly. Many thanks for everyone's
help.

Cheers,

Tim.