CURRENT TIME causes server to shutdown connection

From
"John T. Yocum"
Date:
Hello,

We've been working to try and solve this issue. On PostgreSQL
install(running on RH 7.1), we can't get CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
CURRENT_TIME, or now() to function. All the results is psql reporting
the server closed the connection.

I've been searching all over for clues about this, and haven't found a
thing. If anyone has an idea as to the source of this, that would be
great.

Thanks,
John

Re: CURRENT TIME causes server to shutdown connection

Date:
"John T. Yocum" <john@fluidhosting.com> writes:
> We've been working to try and solve this issue. On PostgreSQL
> install(running on RH 7.1), we can't get CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
> CURRENT_TIME, or now() to function. All the results is psql reporting
> the server closed the connection.

Seems like you must have a broken installation of Postgres.  What
version does it claim to be?  (If it came with RH 7.1, it's got to be
pretty ancient anyway ... I'd recommend replacing it with a newer
release rather than trying to figure out exactly what's gone wrong.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: CURRENT TIME causes server to shutdown connection

From
"John T. Yocum"
Date:
It's version, 7.3.3, I compiled it from source about a week ago.

--John

Date:
"John T. Yocum" <john@fluidhosting.com> writes:
> It's version, 7.3.3, I compiled it from source about a week ago.

Hmph.  Should work then.  Can you get a debugger stack trace from
the backend core dump?

            regards, tom lane

getting PostgreSQL version from TCP/IP client

From
"M. Bastin"
Date:
Hi all,

I couldn't find a command to get the version number of PostgreSQL
from a TCP/IP client.  How must I do this?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: getting PostgreSQL version from TCP/IP client

From
"Steve McAllister"
Date:
Marc,

Try

Select version();

Steve McAllister

broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: getting PostgreSQL version from TCP/IP client

From
"M. Bastin"
Date:
Thanks Steve, it works.  Are there any other things working with
SELECT like this -- or better, where is this documented?

Thanks,

Marc

>Select version();
>
>  > I couldn't find a command to get the version number of PostgreSQL
>  > from a TCP/IP client.  How must I do this?

Re: getting PostgreSQL version from TCP/IP client

From
"Steve McAllister"
Date:
The version() function and others is explained in the Postgres
Documentation under Functions and Operators/Miscellaneous functions. The
use (misuse) of the missing FROM clause is also explained in the
documentation under SQL Commands/Select

Hope this helps

Steve McAllister