Permission error

From
"Carmical Casey"
Date:
I reinstalled postgres, and now I am getting the following error when
trying to add a database:

psql: FATAL 1: cannot open /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/1262: Permission
denied

Any clues as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

-Casey

キャリアアップを目指すあなたのナビゲーター MSN 就職・転職
http://career.msn.co.jp/

Re: Permission error

Date:
"Carmical Casey" <ccarmical@hotmail.com> writes:
> I reinstalled postgres, and now I am getting the following error when
> trying to add a database:
> psql: FATAL 1: cannot open /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/1262: Permission
> denied
> Any clues as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Sounds like you failed to make the Postgres data files be owned by the
same user the postmaster is running as.

If you determine that the file ownership needs to be changed, "chown -R"
should help.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Permission error

From
"Carmical Casey"
Date:
How do I figure out what user the postmaster is running as?  Changing the
permissions is easy.  By the way, I just looked, and postgresql is not in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/
Is that because I haven't restarted the server?

RH 7.3
Postgres 7.3

>"Carmical Casey" <ccarmical@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I reinstalled postgres, and now I am getting the following error when
> > trying to add a database:
> > psql: FATAL 1: cannot open /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/1262: Permission
> > denied
> > Any clues as to why this is happening and how to fix it?
>
>Sounds like you failed to make the Postgres data files be owned by the
>same user the postmaster is running as.
>
>If you determine that the file ownership needs to be changed, "chown -R"
>should help.
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Permission error

From
"Carmical Casey"
Date:
Hi, I fixed it by deleting /var/lib/pgsql and then installing again.
Thanks for your help.

ネットを使うひとに有利な特典いっぱい MSN カード  http://card.msn.co.jp/