Re: Installing postgres in home directory

From
radha.manohar@ndsu.nodak.edu
Date:
What are the instructions that need to be followed to install postgres
in home directory?

The standard documents available talk about installing it in root.

Your reply would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Radha

Re: Installing postgres in home directory

Date:
radha.manohar@ndsu.nodak.edu writes:
> What are the instructions that need to be followed to install postgres
> in home directory?

Use configure's --prefix option to select an installation directory
under your home directory.  (For instance, I commonly use something
like "~/pg7.3.2".)

If you are trying to avoid conflict with a standard installation then
you might want to change the default port as well (--with-pgport, I
think).  You can change the port on-the-fly but it's just easier when
the clients all use the right port automatically.

Then build, install, away you go.  You yourself will be the database
superuser; ignore the docs' suggestions to set up a separate "postgres"
account.  And you'll need to start the postmaster by hand, since I
imagine you don't have privileges to muck with the system's boot-time
scripts.  Otherwise it's just about like a "normal" installation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing postgres in home directory

Date:
radha.manohar@ndsu.nodak.edu writes:
> Whenever, I start the postmaster, I could see three postmasters
> running (I checked using the ps[process status] program)

The subprocesses are statistics collectors.  In some flavors of ps they
will be correctly identified, in some they won't ...

            regards, tom lane