Getting data out of MS Access with only Linux?

From
"Phillip J. Allen"
Date:
Hi all,

I know this is a bit off topic but I am using postgresql more and more
and MS Access less and less.  And I am also using Linux more than
Windows now.  But one problem that I am encountering is "how" do I get
all that data that exists in MS Access files while I am working under
linux and pull it into psql?  While I am running windows it is no big
problem all I do is open the *.mdb file in access and with odbc pass it
over to a psql database.  But to my knowledge I haven't seen any
programs that can read in a .mdb file in Linux?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist
Lima Peru
e-mail: paallen@attglobal.net

Re: Getting data out of MS Access with only Linux?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Phillip,

> I know this is a bit off topic but I am using postgresql more and more
> and MS Access less and less.  And I am also using Linux more than
> Windows now.  But one problem that I am encountering is "how" do I get
> all that data that exists in MS Access files while I am working under
> linux and pull it into psql?  While I am running windows it is no big
> problem all I do is open the *.mdb file in access and with odbc pass it
> over to a psql database.  But to my knowledge I haven't seen any
> programs that can read in a .mdb file in Linux?
>
> Any suggestions?

pgadmin.postgresql.org
http://www.pgsqlmanager.com/download.phtml
(these both require windows, but not MS Access, and come with an exporter)

I'm pretty sure that Kylix will read MDB files.
Also, you could see if there's a Perl::DBI module for MDB.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Getting data out of MS Access with only Linux?

From
Frank Bax
Date:

         http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

Re: Getting data out of MS Access with only Linux?

From
Ron Johnson
Date:
On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 15:55, Phillip J. Allen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is a bit off topic but I am using postgresql more and more
> and MS Access less and less.  And I am also using Linux more than
> Windows now.  But one problem that I am encountering is "how" do I get
> all that data that exists in MS Access files while I am working under
> linux and pull it into psql?  While I am running windows it is no big
> problem all I do is open the *.mdb file in access and with odbc pass it
> over to a psql database.  But to my knowledge I haven't seen any
> programs that can read in a .mdb file in Linux?
>
> Any suggestions?

Maybe unixODBC.  Or are you dual-booting, so do not have simultaneous
access to both OSs?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.            |
| Guess which is more effective...                              |