User access

From
"Bob Jarman"
Date:
Hi,

I'm new to Postgres so if this covered in the DOCs or FAQ, please point me there.

We're running Postgres on a server with 10 workstations (academic computing lab (RH 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.2) ).  My question is how do I prevent users from accessing everyone else's databases.  I've read that pg_hba.conf allows all local users "trust" authentication and cannot seem to get md5 or password to work as the authentication method.  Obviously allowing students global access is not a good thing.

Also, how can I have each user have an individual database area rather than all co-located in /usr/share/data.....

tia, direct e-mail is preferred

Bob

Re: User access

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bob,

> We're running Postgres on a server with 10 workstations (academic computing
lab (RH 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.2) ).  My question is how do I prevent users from
accessing everyone else's databases.  I've read that pg_hba.conf allows all
local users "trust" authentication and cannot seem to get md5 or password to
work as the authentication method.  Obviously allowing students global access
is not a good thing.

What do you mean, you can't get md5 or password to work?  Can you send a
sample of the lines from the bottom of your pg_hba.conf file?

> Also, how can I have each user have an individual database area rather than
all co-located in /usr/share/data.....

See the documentation on CREATE DATABASE.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions