Value of sequence last inserted

From
bryan@flyingiranch.com
Date:
I have a sequence that I am using on a field that I am using for the ID
of an item in a table. After an insert to that table, I need to insert
into two other tables using the same ID - does the initial insert
somehow return the value of the sequence that was used? I know it may
not be reliable to do, say "SELECT MAX ID FROM"..., so how can I assure
that I have the right ID for my other inserts? Should I just do the set
of inserts as a transaction?

Thanks,

Bryan

Attachment

Re: Value of sequence last inserted

From
Joe Conway
Date:
bryan@flyingiranch.com wrote:
> I have a sequence that I am using on a field that I am using for the ID
> of an item in a table. After an insert to that table, I need to insert
> into two other tables using the same ID - does the initial insert
> somehow return the value of the sequence that was used? I know it may
> not be reliable to do, say "SELECT MAX ID FROM"..., so how can I assure
> that I have the right ID for my other inserts? Should I just do the set
> of inserts as a transaction?

See:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/functions-sequence.html

specifically look at currval().