initdb "file not found"

From
"Warren Massengill"
Date:
Trying to install a beta native Win port of Pg on
Win XP home edition

Made it through steps 1 & 2 below but initdb produced a "file not found"
error.

It appears to run if I enter a literal path. C:\pgsql\bin\initdb, initdb
does run and creates the data directory�K

But pg is not running on reboot �K and will not start�K

Any suggestions?

Warren
Excerpts from the PeerDirect instructions:

PeerDirect PostgreSQL

If, however, you prefer a more widely tested Windows release then the beta
version of the PeerDirect native Windows port of PostgreSQL 7.2.1, called
UltraSQL would be better.
Following are step by step instructions for setting it up. These steps were
successful on Windows 2000 but may also work on other versions of Windows.
ftp://209.61.187.152/postgres/postgres_beta4.zip
Installing Create a directory to install to, eg C:\pgsql.
1. Extract all files to this new directory.

2. Move the files from the subdirectory postgres_beta4 that has been
created, directly into the pgsql directory.
�h Now set the required environment variables.
�h The first variable name to create is PGHOME, and it points to C:\pgsql

�h Now repeat this process for the following variables:
  Variable Name: PGDATA    Variable Value: %PGHOME%\data
  Variable Name: PGLIB     Variable Value: %PGHOME%\lib
  Variable Name: PGHOST    Variable Value: localhost
�h Next click on Path in the list of System Variables, then click on Edit.
Add the following to the end of the Variable Value:
�h   ;%PGHOME%\bin

3. The next step is to initialise the Data directory. To do this click on
Start then Run and type:
initdb
4. To install the service click on Start then Run and type:
post_svc -install

Re: initdb "file not found"

From
Bill Colls
Date:
Check that the PATH environment variable includes c:\pgsql\bin

Warren Massengill wrote:
> Trying to install a beta native Win port of Pg on
> Win XP home edition
>
> Made it through steps 1 & 2 below but initdb produced a "file not found"
> error.
>
> It appears to run if I enter a literal path. C:\pgsql\bin\initdb, initdb
> does run and creates the data directory¡K
>
> But pg is not running on reboot ¡K and will not start¡K
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Warren
> Excerpts from the PeerDirect instructions:
>
> PeerDirect PostgreSQL
>
> If, however, you prefer a more widely tested Windows release then the
> beta version of the PeerDirect native Windows port of PostgreSQL 7.2.1,
> called UltraSQL would be better.
> Following are step by step instructions for setting it up. These steps
> were successful on Windows 2000 but may also work on other versions of
> Windows.
> ftp://209.61.187.152/postgres/postgres_beta4.zip
> Installing Create a directory to install to, eg C:\pgsql.
> 1. Extract all files to this new directory.
>
> 2. Move the files from the subdirectory postgres_beta4 that has been
> created, directly into the pgsql directory.
> „h Now set the required environment variables.
> „h The first variable name to create is PGHOME, and it points to C:\pgsql
>
> „h Now repeat this process for the following variables:
>  Variable Name: PGDATA    Variable Value: %PGHOME%\data
>  Variable Name: PGLIB     Variable Value: %PGHOME%\lib
>  Variable Name: PGHOST    Variable Value: localhost
> „h Next click on Path in the list of System Variables, then click on
> Edit. Add the following to the end of the Variable Value:
> „h   ;%PGHOME%\bin
>
> 3. The next step is to initialise the Data directory. To do this click
> on Start then Run and type:
> initdb
> 4. To install the service click on Start then Run and type:
> post_svc -install

/* =============================================================== */

   William E. Colls                                         Manager
   Tel 613 225 6566 ext 2320         Applications Development Group
   Fax 613 225 6651                                   CBN Lotteries
   bcolls@cbnlottery.com                              www.cbnco.com

Re: initdb "file not found"

From
"Warren Massengill"
>From: Bill Colls <bcolls@cbnlottery.com>
>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:47:26 -0500
>
>Check that the PATH environment variable includes c:\pgsql\bin

Under, User variables for customer

I Input (new):
%PGHOME%\data
%PGHOME%\lib

That input produced:
PGDATA            c:\pgsql\data
PGLIB             C:\pgsql\data

Editing the path statement, I added ;%PGHOME%\bin. This appears (where I put
it) under System variables at the end of the path statement. I assume it was
converted to C:\pgsql\bin but I can't see it.

How do I confirm it?

Thanks, Warren