Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Steve_Miller@sil.org
Date:
I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor choice.
I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is worried it leads to
RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands are on the keyboard all
the time.

So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I need to start learning
one.

Steve Miller
SIL International

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Thomas Adam
Date:
It depends....

I use vi, and specify the environment variable
"PSQL_EDITOR" in "/etc/profile.local", thus:

export PSQL_EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi"

then when I want to edit a file, from within psql,
type:

\e /path/tp/file.sql

:-) easy.

-- Thomas Adam

 --- Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote: > I'm still new to
the Linux world, and do not have a
> bias for editor choice.
> I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is
> worried it leads to
> RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands
> are on the keyboard all
> the time.
>
> So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I
> need to start learning
> one.
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo@postgresql.org)

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Date:
Hi Steve !

On command line I use joe.

On KDE, joe via terminal and Kedit. With VNC you can Kedit or Gedit or
whatever 'locally'. Even from a windows-box.

BR,

aarni

Date:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:

> I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor choice.
> I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is worried it leads to
> RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands are on the keyboard all
> the time.

I lean towards emacs.  But, ....  There is some evidence to
suggest that RSI (including carpal tunnel syndrome) is in part
"socially acceptable", and that has something to do with its
prevalence.  The statistics are wishy-washy, like a lot of things
biological, but it seems that if you live in a culture where
RSI is socially acceptable, you stand a larger chance of catching
(or getting) it, for the same exposure to some environment.  This
isn't to say that the pain is imagined, they can instrument
people, and they can see that pain signals are being transmitted,
so something of it is real.  I think the jury is still out on
just what is necessary and sufficient conditions to get it.

I've always believed that if I do a couple of things, I will lower
my chance to get it.
 1) Every 20-40 minutes, get away from the computer for a few
    minutes.  Let the eyes focus on some distance other than 18
    inches (or whatever).  Stretch the wrist in the 4
    (predominant) directions of movement: flexion, extention,
    rotation clockwise, rotation counter-clockwise.  I've never
    looked into the side to side motions (or done anything).
    Drinking caffienated beverages is good, it forces you to
    go to the bathroom if nothing else (getting away from the
    computer).
 2) Keep your wrists (heck, your whole body) strong.  Get to the
    gym once in a while.  Do exercises which require stronger
    muscles/tendons/ligaments in the area of the wrist.
I don't think the above works as far as rehab goes, if you already
have symptoms, I think you need to get your doctor involved.  But
as a prophylactic, I think the above works.  Or, at least it seems
to for me.

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President

brew@theMode.com
Date:
> So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I need to start learning
> one.

I use a vi clone, vim, mainly because I tend to like to be in text mode
rather than run a gui.  I use a laptop and my eyes aren't so good anymore.
I also use pico for quick fixes, but vim allows me to switch back and
forth between multiple files and copy and paste code into the other
window.

All text editors with no mouse involved, so it doesn't really answere your
question!  OK, gang, should I too consider a gui editor, maybe even vim in
X?

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
     Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
                        http://www.TheMode.com

On 02/06/2003 10:01:56 AM Mark Thomas wrote:

>I am personally an emacs user, but editors are like
>religion -- you love what you learn first. :)

Not necessarily, on either score, but I get the idea.  You Emacs users are
a loyal bunch.  :-)

>If you do choose emacs I'd recommend getting a keyboard that has the CTRL
>key left of the 'A' instead of in the lower-left corner where it's
useless.
>CTRL is commonly used in emacs. Keytronic makes keyboards with the
>capslock/CTRL swappable.

My CTRL and ALT keys are under my thumbs. Literally. I've learned to
appreciate them there under the strongest digit of my hands. Seems
placement there would be essential for Emacs.

>Why choose one over the other? emacs is modeless (meaning what you type is
>what goes into the doc). It uses meta keys (CTRL, ALT, ESC) to carry out
>commands. Vi is modal, meaning you are either in edit mode or in command
>mode. Being an emacs proponent I'll claim emacs is more powerful. :) I
tend
>to only have an emacs window open on my desktop and use its directory
>browsing, shell window, and compilation support for everything.

I wasn't aware of those things. Thanks.

>Vi has the advantage of being everywhere. You may find unix installations
>without emacs, but I don't think you'll find one without vi. Heavy
>cut/paste users seem to like vi more than emacs.

Hmmm...I more of a cutter/paster.

Date:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:
> On 02/06/2003 10:01:56 AM Mark Thomas wrote:
>
> >I am personally an emacs user, but editors are like
> >religion -- you love what you learn first. :)
>
> Not necessarily, on either score, but I get the idea.  You Emacs users are
> a loyal bunch.  :-)

Yes.  In my LUG, we can often get into friendly vi versus emacs
fights.  Sort of like Tastes Great versus Less Filling from some
approximation to beer commercial.

> >Why choose one over the other? emacs is modeless (meaning what you type is
> >what goes into the doc). It uses meta keys (CTRL, ALT, ESC) to carry out
> >commands. Vi is modal, meaning you are either in edit mode or in command
> >mode. Being an emacs proponent I'll claim emacs is more powerful. :) I
> tend
> >to only have an emacs window open on my desktop and use its directory
> >browsing, shell window, and compilation support for everything.
>
> I wasn't aware of those things. Thanks.

One thing I had seen written a long time ago, is that people with
long fingers tended to like emacs, and short fingers for vi.
Makes as much sense as any rules for picking an editor I guess.
Certainly if you have short fingers, some of the emacs key
combinations aren't easy.

*** On another note,
Someone thought I was making lightly of RSI with my earlier
note.  I'm not a spring chicken (I'm 42), and a couple of
my jobs over the years (and education) have involved LOTS of
programming.  And so far (knock on wood, or head :-), no RSI.
And I've been involved enough in rehab, that I can read a
lot of the good medical info.  I have no doubt that people
who have gotten RSI have a problem to deal with, and I wish
them luck and fast healing.  I think prevention is a big
part of avoiding RSI, and a big part of that is fitness.
As a group, programmers and other people who use keyboards
a lot are not big on fitness.  Fitness includes aspects of
strength, endurance and flexibility.  I had mentioned
things having to do with strength and flexibility in my
earlier note.

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (alt.)

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Rory Campbell-Lange
Date:
If you use either emacs or vi/vim, it is useful to know that the psql
command line has readline support.

So if you have a .inputrc file with the line (in my case)
    "set editing-mode vi"
You can move up and down between lines, search, yank and paste in the
ways you can on the command line.

Rory

<rory@campbell-lange.net>
<www.campbell-lange.net>

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Jason Earl
Date:
Steve_Miller@sil.org writes:

> I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor
> choice.  I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is
> worried it leads to RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the
> hands are on the keyboard all the time.

Emacs has a lot going for it as a programmer's editor, especially for
working with PostgreSQL (it has several modes that allow you to do
most of your PostgreSQL work directly in an Emacs buffer).  If you are
concerned about the wacky keystrokes giving you RSI then you might
want to consider running Emacs in Viper mode.  Viper is a vi-emulation
package that runs on top of Emacs.  This allows you to use vi's more
typist friendly keystrokes with Emacs' wide range of powerful
extensions.

> So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I need to start
> learning one.

Good Luck,

Jason

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
You have lots of editors to choose from but probably the most widely used (at
least by professionals) and biggest cause of religious editor wars are emacs
and vi (actually vim, that is "vi improved", is the most common version of vi
on Linux distros).

I chose to learn vim because:
-it is reasonably small and fast
-there are versions for unix/linux/dos/windows/X-windows/etc. (one editor to
rule them all...)
-it is the one editor that you find on basically all *nix platforms so you
need to know it anyway.

BTW, learning vi (or emacs, I guess) is frustrating but once you get it you
will not want to go back.

HTH,
Steve

On Thursday 06 February 2003 7:24 am, Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:
> I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor choice.
> I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is worried it leads to
> RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands are on the keyboard all
> the time.
>
> So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I need to start learning
> one.
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
Chris Thompson
Date:
Not so sure that the problem is the keyboard, more how you use it.
Get a decent keyboard and learn to type, you should be fine.

On the linux side, skip emacs, use vim, tis a lovely editor :)
Besides that, you could use some of the development IDE's such as
KDevelop.

Cheers

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:

> I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor choice.
> I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is worried it leads to
> RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands are on the keyboard all
> the time.
>
> So what are the favorites for PostgreSQL scripts? I need to start learning
> one.
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International

> Virus scanned by edNET.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of edNET or lightershade ltd. Finally, the
viruses.  edNET and lightershade ltd accepts no liability for any damage

Virus scanned by edNET.

Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

From
simran
vim is the best :-) (well, i like it anyway :-)

Try out some of the scripts at:

http://vim.sourceforge.net/script_search.php?keywords=database&script_type=&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search

if you want extra macros/colours/extentions etc..