PL/Perl on HPUX

From
Petre Scheie
Date:
When I run './configure --with-perl' for 7.3.1 on an HPUX 11.0 system I
get the error about it not being able to build PL/Perl because libperl
is not a shared library, as mentioned in the installation docs.  In my
case, I installed perl 5.8 using the package from the HP Porting &
Archive Center.  The doc for 7.3.1 suggests that libperl IS a shared
library for most 'recent perl versions', so it seems like it should
work.  But it doesn't.  Is there a way around this?  I checked the mail
archives and it looks like there's been some discussion of this, but no
clear answers (to me anyway).

Regards,

Petre Scheie

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

Date:
Petre Scheie <petre.scheie@nextelpartners.com> writes:
> When I run './configure --with-perl' for 7.3.1 on an HPUX 11.0 system I
> get the error about it not being able to build PL/Perl because libperl
> is not a shared library, as mentioned in the installation docs.  In my
> case, I installed perl 5.8 using the package from the HP Porting &
> Archive Center.  The doc for 7.3.1 suggests that libperl IS a shared
> library for most 'recent perl versions', so it seems like it should
> work.  But it doesn't.

Well, is it?  Do you have a libperl.sl, or just libperl.a?

Personally I have no problem with plperl on HPUX 10.20, but I build Perl
from source so that I can tell its configure script to build a shared
library.  Last time I did that, which was perl 5.8.0, shared library was
still *not* the default choice.  I have no idea what the Porting Center
chose for their build, but you should easily be able to tell from the
installed filename.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From
Petre Scheie
Date:
Sorry, forgot that little detail: I have libperl.a.  I got the perl
source, but in order to build in support for files >2GB, one must use
HP's ansi c compiler, which I don't have on this box.  It can be done
with gcc, but gcc has to have been built using HP's ansi c compiler not
the built-in k&r compiler, so either way I need the ansi c compiler. Sigh.

Petre

Tom Lane wrote:
> Petre Scheie <petre.scheie@nextelpartners.com> writes:
>
>>When I run './configure --with-perl' for 7.3.1 on an HPUX 11.0 system I
>>get the error about it not being able to build PL/Perl because libperl
>>is not a shared library, as mentioned in the installation docs.  In my
>>case, I installed perl 5.8 using the package from the HP Porting &
>>Archive Center.  The doc for 7.3.1 suggests that libperl IS a shared
>>library for most 'recent perl versions', so it seems like it should
>>work.  But it doesn't.
>

> Well, is it?  Do you have a libperl.sl, or just libperl.a?
>
> Personally I have no problem with plperl on HPUX 10.20, but I build Perl
> from source so that I can tell its configure script to build a shared
> library.  Last time I did that, which was perl 5.8.0, shared library was
> still *not* the default choice.  I have no idea what the Porting Center
> chose for their build, but you should easily be able to tell from the
> installed filename.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:48, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Sorry, forgot that little detail: I have libperl.a.  I got the perl
> source, but in order to build in support for files >2GB, one must use
> HP's ansi c compiler, which I don't have on this box.  It can be done
> with gcc, but gcc has to have been built using HP's ansi c compiler not
> the built-in k&r compiler, so either way I need the ansi c compiler. Sigh.

Back in the days (6 years back) when I used HP-UX, you could download a
binary of gcc from the Liverpool University archive.

     "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
      things in heaven, and things in earth, and things
      under the earth; And that every tongue should confess
      that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
      Father."              Philippians 2:10,11

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From
David Nicely
Date:
Oliver Elphick wrote:
Sorry, forgot that little detail: I have libperl.a.  I got the perl
source, but in order to build in support for files >2GB, one must use
HP's ansi c compiler, which I don't have on this box.  It can be done
with gcc, but gcc has to have been built using HP's ansi c compiler not
the built-in k&r compiler, so either way I need the ansi c compiler. Sigh.
Back in the days (6 years back) when I used HP-UX, you could download a
binary of gcc from the Liverpool University archive.

ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/gcc_hpux/

google++

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From
Petre Scheie
Date:
Thanks, David, for the link to gcc-64.  I got the 64-bit gcc from
sunsite but, after bunzipping it, I untar it, and after a couple hundred
files are untarred, I get a 'directory checksum error'.  Does this mean
my tar file is corrupted?  Or something else?

David Nicely wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:48, Petre Scheie wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, forgot that little detail: I have libperl.a.  I got the perl
>>>source, but in order to build in support for files >2GB, one must use
>>>HP's ansi c compiler, which I don't have on this box.  It can be done
>>>with gcc, but gcc has to have been built using HP's ansi c compiler not
>>>the built-in k&r compiler, so either way I need the ansi c compiler. Sigh.
>>>

>>Back in the days (6 years back) when I used HP-UX, you could download a
>>binary of gcc from the Liverpool University archive.
>>

> ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/gcc_hpux/
>
> google++

Re: PL/Perl on HPUX

From
David Nicely
Date:
Petre Scheie wrote:

> Thanks, David, for the link to gcc-64.  I got the 64-bit gcc from
> sunsite but, after bunzipping it, I untar it, and after a couple
> hundred files are untarred, I get a 'directory checksum error'.  Does
> this mean my tar file is corrupted?  Or something else?

I really don't know much about hp-ux, I'm  much more familiar with
solaris and a few other unix's.
I can give you few suggestions though, based on what I would do in this
situtation.
It does sound like the tar file is corrupted. make sure , if youre using
ftp to download it, use binary mode and possibly passive ftp.
Try downloading the gcc package from hp (they have a few different
versions and install instructions)
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,547,00.html

Actually I think from hp's site you get the package in .depot format,
which means you may not have to untar anything...

Hope this helps. good luck.