data type change

From
renzo rizzato
Date:
Hallo to all from Italy,
does anybody know if any sql instruction exists to allow
change of a column data type? In my case I need to convert a
money type into numeric without any success. Second
nuissance: I am using the italian translation of PostgreSQL
manual, author o Relly, the one with the big elephant in
cover, this is a very good book but I am spending a good
amount of time to re-create the example-database used:
'booktown', does anybody know if it is possible to get it
somewhwere in the net?
Thank ypu andregard

--
*******************
renzo rizzato

Re: data type change

From
Alberto Bolchini
Date:
<quote who="renzo rizzato">

> does anybody know if any sql instruction exists to allow
> change of a column data type? In my case I need to convert a
> money type into numeric without any success.
AFAIK you cannot in Postgresql. I suggest you recreate the table with the
correct column datatypes (i.e. rename the table, create the new table and
populate it with values from the original table.) Watch out for triggers and
procedures.

Regards,

    Alberto.