Problems with pg_dump

From
papapep
Date:

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
Date:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, papapep wrote:

> Does anybody know why when I try :
>
>     pg_dump DATABASE > DATABASE.out
>
> with postgres, root, or any other user it simply says:
>
>     "sh: DATABASE.out permission denied"

Well, if you hadn't mentioned root, I would say that whatever
user didn't have permission to write in the current directory.
But, if root is also effected, I would guess something to do with
the device.  Is the device this directory is part of, either
mounted read-only (first guess) or full?

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
papapep
Date:

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
papapep
Date:
I forgot to tell you that the DATABASE.out file is a read only file. I
don-t know if its important, but....

Thanks in advance

Josep Sàncehz
   [papapep]

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
papapep
Date:

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 18:24, papapep wrote:

> I've also noticed that if I just make pg_dump to the standard output
> (screen) it works fine. But in the moment I try to redirect it to any
> file ( > DATABASE.out) it fails as I told before.
>
> Strange, isn't it?

Can you redirect any other file?

For example:

    echo success > /tmp/junk
    echo success > DATABASE.out

--
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
LFIX Limited

Re: Problems with pg_dump

Date:
papapep <papapep@gmx.net> writes:
> I forgot to tell you that the DATABASE.out file is a read only file. I
> don-t know if its important, but....

You mean you're doing
    pg_dump ... >DATABASE.out
where DATABASE.out already exists and is marked read-only?  No wonder
it's failing.  Read-only status wouldn't be much protection if it didn't
fail, no?

Remove the old file, or chmod it to let you overwrite it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
papapep
Date:

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
Date:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, papapep wrote:

> I forgot to tell you that the DATABASE.out file is a read only file. I
> don-t know if its important, but....

The DATABASE.out file is owned by root?  In your shell
initialization scripts, do you have the "noclobber" variable
set?  It's there to keep you from accidentally overwriting
files by using the shell redirection operators.  If you
really do want to overwrite the file (lose the old data),
just delete the file and try again.  Then noclobber won't
get involved.

Gord
--

Date:
papapep <papapep@gmx.net> writes:
>>> You mean you're doing
>>> pg_dump ... >DATABASE.out
>>> where DATABASE.out already exists and is marked read-only?

> No. It exists after doing pg_dump....etc,etc.. Before I've removed it
> to avoid these problems.

That's odd.

> But the question is, how is that pg_dump creates a file with
> read-only permissions?....astonishing for me....is it the default
> profile?? It isn't written in any of the docs I've read about it.

Well, pg_dump is not creating the file in this situation --- your shell
is.  So it's got to have something to do with shell settings.  May I
inquire what you have "umask" set to?  Also, just exactly what
permissions is the file created with (ls -l output would be good).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problems with pg_dump

From
Mark Thomas
Date:
At 04:19 PM 12/16/02 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> > No. It exists after doing pg_dump....etc,etc.. Before I've removed it
> > to avoid these problems.
>
>That's odd.
>
> > But the question is, how is that pg_dump creates a file with
> > read-only permissions?....astonishing for me....is it the default
> > profile?? It isn't written in any of the docs I've read about it.
>
>Well, pg_dump is not creating the file in this situation --- your shell
>is.  So it's got to have something to do with shell settings.  May I
>inquire what you have "umask" set to?  Also, just exactly what
>permissions is the file created with (ls -l output would be good).

ls -ld . would be useful too. Could have setuid on for someone other than
the user.

Mark Thomas
---
thomas@pbegames.com ----> http://www.pbegames.com/~thomas