Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?

From
Mat Rice
Date:
I have checked with the Fink lists, to no avail. So I thought I'd try here.

I have just installed the latest postgreSQL from the unstable tree in Fink.
The info file says:

"You can start the PostgreSQL server manually using 'postmaster' as pgsql
(since pgsql has a shell of /dev/null by default, you must run it as sudo -u
pgsql postmaster) or you can run 'daemonic enable postgresql' as root to
create a StartupItem for it"

However when I try that, I get:

mat% sudo daemonic enable postgresql
No matching service found for "postgresql", skipping.

mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster
postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
You must specify the directory that contains the database system
either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
PGDATA environment variable.

So then I try:

mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster -D /Volumes/Files/sw/bin
FATAL 1:  data directory /Volumes/Files/sw/bin has group or world access;
permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

Now I'm a little leery of changing permissions on that directory as
everything else seems to be working fine with it the way it is.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, does anybody have my clue?

Thanks,

Mat

Latest Fink via CVS
postgreSQL 7.2.3
OS X 10.2.2
Latest developer tools

Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?

From
David C.Oshel
Date:
Hi, Mat -

Check out Marc Liyanage's page at
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

He has a StartupItem that should do nicely.  It installs as a package
(as does his excellent 7.3 binary).  The script, located at
/Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL can be examined with
TextEdit, and is _almost_ self-explanatory.

sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL { start | stop }

does the trick.

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 09:19  AM, Mat Rice wrote:

> I have checked with the Fink lists, to no avail. So I thought I'd try
> here.
>
> I have just installed the latest postgreSQL from the unstable tree in
> Fink.
> The info file says:
>
> "You can start the PostgreSQL server manually using 'postmaster' as
> pgsql
> (since pgsql has a shell of /dev/null by default, you must run it as
> sudo -u
> pgsql postmaster) or you can run 'daemonic enable postgresql' as root
> create a StartupItem for it"
>
> However when I try that, I get:
>
> mat% sudo daemonic enable postgresql
> No matching service found for "postgresql", skipping.
>
> mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster
> postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
> You must specify the directory that contains the database system
> either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
> PGDATA environment variable.
>
> So then I try:
>
> mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster -D /Volumes/Files/sw/bin
> FATAL 1:  data directory /Volumes/Files/sw/bin has group or world
> access;
> permissions should be u=rwx (0700)
>
> Now I'm a little leery of changing permissions on that directory as
> everything else seems to be working fine with it the way it is.
>
> I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, does anybody have my clue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mat
>
> Latest Fink via CVS
> postgreSQL 7.2.3
> OS X 10.2.2
> Latest developer tools

David C. Oshel               mailto:dcoshel@inav.net
Cedar Rapids, Iowa       http://soli.inav.net/~dcoshel
``I think most pleasantly in metaphors, and smoking brings metaphors to
mind." - Augustus Srb, in Alexei Panshin's  _Star Well_

Date:
On 12/15/02 10:35 AM, "David C. Oshel" <dcoshel@inav.net> wrote:

> Hi, Mat -
>
> Check out Marc Liyanage's page at
> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>
> He has a StartupItem that should do nicely.  It installs as a package
> (as does his excellent 7.3 binary).  The script, located at
> /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL can be examined with
> TextEdit, and is _almost_ self-explanatory.
>
> sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL { start | stop }
>
> does the trick.

I've seen Marc's packages and have heard great things about them. My only
reservation is that everything else UNIXy has been installed via Fink and I
am trying to avoid different distro's if possible. Also, I don't know if
they play together well.

However, I am about to give up and mix installations as I really want to get
postgreSQL up and running.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll just try the startup item alone to see if it
works with my install before jumping into reinstalling the whole thing.

ThanksRegards
mAt

Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by

From
Jeffrey Melloy
Date:
The problem with Marc Liyanage's startup script is that it points to
his install.  So if you want to install via Fink, you're going to have
to find where fink put your data.  Marc Liyanage's package installs in
the default unix location of /usr/local/pgsql/, with the data in
/usr/local/pgsql/data.  My guess is that fink puts a pgsql folder
somewhere in the /sw directory, and within that is the data file.  So
when you start postmaster, you need to start it with the -D flag
pointing there.

That being said, I would recommend his package, it has jdbc and
readline support built in, comes with the jdbc drivers, and all that
fun stuff.

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 10:22  AM, Mat Rice wrote:

> On 12/15/02 10:35 AM, "David C. Oshel" <dcoshel@inav.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Mat -
>>
>> Check out Marc Liyanage's page at
>> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>>
>> He has a StartupItem that should do nicely.  It installs as a package
>> (as does his excellent 7.3 binary).  The script, located at
>> /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL can be examined with
>> TextEdit, and is _almost_ self-explanatory.
>>
>> sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL { start | stop }
>>
>> does the trick.

> I've seen Marc's packages and have heard great things about them. My
> only
> reservation is that everything else UNIXy has been installed via Fink
> and I
> am trying to avoid different distro's if possible. Also, I don't know
> if
> they play together well.
>
> However, I am about to give up and mix installations as I really want
> to get
> postgreSQL up and running.
>
> Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll just try the startup item alone to see
> if it
> works with my install before jumping into reinstalling the whole thing.
>
> ThanksRegards
> mAt
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by

From
Jeffrey Melloy
Date:
Fink also installs PostgreSQL 7.2.3, which is out of date.
On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 10:22  AM, Mat Rice wrote:

> On 12/15/02 10:35 AM, "David C. Oshel" <dcoshel@inav.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Mat -
>>
>> Check out Marc Liyanage's page at
>> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>>
>> He has a StartupItem that should do nicely.  It installs as a package
>> (as does his excellent 7.3 binary).  The script, located at
>> /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL can be examined with
>> TextEdit, and is _almost_ self-explanatory.
>>
>> sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL { start | stop }
>>
>> does the trick.

> I've seen Marc's packages and have heard great things about them. My
> only
> reservation is that everything else UNIXy has been installed via Fink
> and I
> am trying to avoid different distro's if possible. Also, I don't know
> if
> they play together well.
>
> However, I am about to give up and mix installations as I really want
> to get
> postgreSQL up and running.
>
> Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll just try the startup item alone to see
> if it
> works with my install before jumping into reinstalling the whole thing.
>
> ThanksRegards
> mAt
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?

From
Jeffrey Melloy
Date:
I may be beating a dead horse here, but I just installed postgres using
fink.

The last line of the install process:

Success. You can now start the database server using:

     sudo -u root sudo -u pgsql /sw/bin/pg_ctl \
         -D /sw/var/postgresql/data -l /sw/var/log/postgresql/logfile
start

so to start it, type that.  To start it with Liyanage's package, open
it up with whatever you want, and change the data directory to
/sw/var/postgresql/data and the executable part to /sw/bin/pg_ctl
instead of /use/local/pg_ctl.  Glancing at the install log, it does
take care of all permissions modifications for you; you were just
pointing it at the wrong place.

I'm still going to recommend not using fink for this; the package is
out of date.