information

From
Mattia Boccia
Date:
 I'd like to know, if it's possible, which ODBC
 standard does postsgres support and where i could
 find the complete text of ANSI SQL-92 and ANSI
 SQL-99.
 In the FAQ page i found that the maximum size for a
 row? is 1.6TB and i'd like to know what exactly
 they mean with "row".
 Do u know about any applications realized with
 Postgres and still working that i could cite to
 demostrate his reliability?

 Regards

                                Mattia Boccia

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: information

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Mattia,

>  I'd like to know, if it's possible, which ODBC
>  standard does postsgres support

That depends on the host Operating System.   Drivers/source are
available for current versions of MS ODBC, unixODBC, and iODBC.

> and where i could
>  find the complete text of ANSI SQL-92 and ANSI
>  SQL-99.

http://www.ansi.org
Or, better, buy a copy of C.J. Date's "A guide to the SQL Standard."
book.

>  In the FAQ page i found that the maximum size for a
>  row? is 1.6TB and i'd like to know what exactly
>  they mean with "row".

Um, the definition of "row" in a database is unambiguous.   One row =
One Tuple.   I can't make it any clearer than that.

FYI, most operating systems limit single files to 2GB or less.  As
such, no table -- and thus no row -- in a Postgres database running on
that operating system can be larger than 2GB.   But it's hard for me to
imagine a row that is even 1MB, let alone 2GB, so I don't think you
need to worry.

>  Do u know about any applications realized with
>  Postgres and still working that i could cite to
>  demostrate his reliability?

See http://advocacy.postgresql.org/

I believe that their is an Italian version of that page, as well.

-Josh Berkus

Re: information

Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> FYI, most operating systems limit single files to 2GB or less.  As
> such, no table -- and thus no row -- in a Postgres database running on
> that operating system can be larger than 2GB.

Josh, surely you know better than that.  PG is not restricted by OS
limitations on individual file size, because it automatically segments
tables into multiple OS files.

            regards, tom lane

Re: information

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Tom,

> Josh, surely you know better than that.  PG is not restricted by OS
> limitations on individual file size, because it automatically
> segments
> tables into multiple OS files.

Actually, I didn't know.  When did you add that?   Dammit, you
programmer-types keep writing stuff too fast for me to keep up.  <grin>

And what on *earth* would someone store in a 3GB table?   Heck, I don't
think I even have a 3GB *database* in production; the 3million-record
one I use in my column was only a few hundred megabytes.

-Josh Berkus

Re: information

Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Josh, surely you know better than that.  PG is not restricted by OS
>> limitations on individual file size, because it automatically
>> segments tables into multiple OS files.

> Actually, I didn't know.  When did you add that?

AFAICT, it's been in the code since Berkeley days; Postgres 4.2 looks
to have support for it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: information

From
Mattia Boccia
Date:
 I'd like to know, if it's possible, which ODBC
 standard does postsgres support and where i could
 find the complete text of ANSI SQL-92 and ANSI
SQL-99.
 In the FAQ page i found that the maximum size for a
 row? is 1.6TB and i'd like to know what exactly
 they mean with "row".
 Do u know about any applications realized with
 Postgres and still working that i could cite to
 demostrate his reliability?

 Regards

                                Mattia Boccia

http://faith.yahoo.com

information

From
Mattia Boccia
Date:
I have installed a Postgres server, now i need a
client interface...
where could i find it?

regards

Matt