What gets inherited

From
John Taylor
Date:
Hi,

If I create a table that inherits from another, it inherits all the attributes,
but does not appear to inherit the constraints, or indexes

Can anyone give me a pointer to details of what does and does not get inherited.

Thanks
JohnT

Re: What gets inherited

From
John Taylor
Date:
On Tuesday 18 June 2002 16:45, I wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 16:19, I wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I create a table that inherits from another, it inherits all the attributes,
> > but does not appear to inherit the constraints, or indexes
> >

> Just double checked.
> It seems that indexes DO get inherited, but I'm not sure about the rest.
> (I don't think I had enough rows for the optimizer to kick in indexed searches before)

Nope - thats not it....

john=# create index parent_value on parent(value);
CREATE
john=# explain select * from parent where value='foo';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Result  (cost=0.00..30.64 rows=20 width=24)
  ->  Append  (cost=0.00..30.64 rows=20 width=24)
        ->  Index Scan using parent_value on parent  (cost=0.00..8.14 rows=10 width=24)
        ->  Seq Scan on child parent  (cost=0.00..22.50 rows=10 width=24)

EXPLAIN

Now I'm really confused.
Can someone explain what is really going on !

Thanks
JohnT

Re: What gets inherited

From
John Taylor
Date:
On Tuesday 18 June 2002 16:19, I wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I create a table that inherits from another, it inherits all the attributes,
> but does not appear to inherit the constraints, or indexes

Just double checked.
It seems that indexes DO get inherited, but I'm not sure about the rest.
(I don't think I had enough rows for the optimizer to kick in indexed searches before)

Regards
JohnT

--
John Taylor            J T Response Limited
Director               Internet Solutions for Business