Dump version mismatch

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Hi !

bash-2.04$ pg_dump my_db > my_db_2904
Database version: PostgreSQL 7.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
pg_dump version: 7.0
Aborting because of version mismatch.
Use --ignore-version if you think it's safe to proceed anyway.

Help ?

BR,

aarni

Re: Dump version mismatch

From
Einar Karttunen
Date:
On 30.04 13:20, Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> Database version: PostgreSQL 7.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
> pg_dump version: 7.0
> Aborting because of version mismatch.

The most common reason for this problem  is that you have two versions of
postgresql installed. The database is running from the version 7.2 but your
path points to the 7.0 first. Try using absolute path to pg_dump or setting
the PATH correctly.

- Einar Karttunen

Re: Dump version mismatch

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
That was quick, thanks Einar !

How about the other way round ? Can I still use
#cat pg_dump | psql my_db ?

Or pg_restore the new way ?

Same things apply to vacuum ?

Thanks again.

BR,

aarni

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 01:20 pm, you wrote:
> On 30.04 13:20, Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> > Database version: PostgreSQL 7.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> > 2.96 pg_dump version: 7.0
> > Aborting because of version mismatch.
>
> The most common reason for this problem  is that you have two versions of
> postgresql installed. The database is running from the version 7.2 but your
> path points to the 7.0 first. Try using absolute path to pg_dump or setting
> the PATH correctly.
>
> - Einar Karttunen

Re: Dump version mismatch

From
Einar Karttunen
Date:
On 30.04 13:40, Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com wrote:
> How about the other way round ? Can I still use
> #cat pg_dump | psql my_db ?
>
> Or pg_restore the new way ?
>
> Same things apply to vacuum ?

yes, a dump from 7.0 should work in 7.2.
You should always use utilities from the same
version as the database you are running.

- Einar Karttunen

Re: Dump version mismatch

From
AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com
Date:
Thank you again Einar !

Trying things out and rewriting scheduled jobs already ...

BR,

aarni