installing on sunos 5.7

From
"Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux"
Date:
Hi,

I've created a shopping cart using postgres and C++ on a Linux environment.  Now I'm ready to port it to my host server (SunOS 5.7).  The only problem is my host server doesn't have postgres installed and doesn't plan on installing it in the future.  Instead, they suggest I install postgres on their server.  In other words, that I install it as a regular user (not root) in my home directory. Based on what I've read, I don't think I can this without being root; but then maybe someone knows more about this than I do.  If that someone is out there reading this, please send me a note or at least tell me about where I could better inform myself about this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Re: installing on sunos 5.7

Date:
"Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux" <capnatur@total.net> writes:
>  Instead, they suggest I install postgres on their=
>  server.  In other words, that I install it as a regular user (not root) in=
>  my home directory. Based on what I've read, I don't think I can

Certainly you can install and run postgres without being root.  The
major problem with doing it as a completely unprivileged user is that
without some help from root it's difficult to get the server to start up
automatically at system boot time.  If you're running a shopping cart
I don't imagine you want it to be down after a restart until you get
around to starting it by hand.

Ask the admins if they're willing to add something to the startup
scripts that will fire off postgres under your account name (ie, su to
your account and launch postgres).  If not, you need to pester them
harder, or find a more accommodating host site.

            regards, tom lane

Re: installing on sunos 5.7

From
"D. Duccini"
Date:
if they are unwilling or unable, you can "cheat" and setup a cronjob that
runs as you that will fire it up for you

sort of a thing that "monitors" whether its running or not, and if not,
starts it up

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux" <capnatur@total.net> writes:
> >  Instead, they suggest I install postgres on their=
> >  server.  In other words, that I install it as a regular user (not root) in=
> >  my home directory. Based on what I've read, I don't think I can
>
> Certainly you can install and run postgres without being root.  The
> major problem with doing it as a completely unprivileged user is that
> without some help from root it's difficult to get the server to start up
> automatically at system boot time.  If you're running a shopping cart
> I don't imagine you want it to be down after a restart until you get
> around to starting it by hand.
>
> Ask the admins if they're willing to add something to the startup
> scripts that will fire off postgres under your account name (ie, su to
> your account and launch postgres).  If not, you need to pester them
> harder, or find a more accommodating host site.
>
>             regards, tom lane

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"