date_part function

From
John Burski
Date:
I was putzing around with the date/time functions to get a feel for how
they work, when I ran across this bit of puzzling behavior.  I'm running
PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on a Red Hat 6.1 box.

I submitted the following query:

     select date_part('dow', timestamp 'now');

and received the following results:

     ERROR:  Function 'date_part(text, timestamp)' does not exist
      Unable to identify a function which satisfies the given
     argument types
      You will have to retype your query using explicit typecasts

However, the user documentation seems to indicate that this function is
an integral part of PostgreSQL.

What gives?

John Burski
Chief IT Cook and Bottlewasher
911 Emergency Products, St. Cloud, MN
(320) 656 0076

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ How's your cheese holding out? +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: date_part function

From
"D. Duccini"
Date:
try this

duccini=> select date_part('dow', 'now'::date);
date_part
---------
        5
(1 row)

-duck

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, John Burski wrote:

> I was putzing around with the date/time functions to get a feel for how
> they work, when I ran across this bit of puzzling behavior.  I'm running
> PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on a Red Hat 6.1 box.
>
> I submitted the following query:
>
>      select date_part('dow', timestamp 'now');
>
> and received the following results:
>
>      ERROR:  Function 'date_part(text, timestamp)' does not exist
>       Unable to identify a function which satisfies the given
>      argument types
>       You will have to retype your query using explicit typecasts
>
> However, the user documentation seems to indicate that this function is
> an integral part of PostgreSQL.
>
> What gives?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> John Burski
> Chief IT Cook and Bottlewasher
> 911 Emergency Products, St. Cloud, MN
> (320) 656 0076
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> + How's your cheese holding out? +
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"

Re: date_part function

From
John Burski
Date:
Just the ticket!

Thanks!

Date:
John Burski <John.Burski@911ep.com> writes:
> I submitted the following query:
>      select date_part('dow', timestamp 'now');
> and received the following results:
>      ERROR:  Function 'date_part(text, timestamp)' does not exist
>       Unable to identify a function which satisfies the given
>      argument types
>       You will have to retype your query using explicit typecasts

Odd.  It works fine for me.  What do you get from psql's "\df date_part"?

            regards, tom lane

Re: date_part function

From
John Burski
Date:
My bad!!

I was reading the docs for 7.0.3 (which I've installed on my workstation)
and ssh'd across to a different box using an older version (6.5.2).  Too
many xterms running at the same time.  Sheesh!  I need a vacation!

(320) 656 0076       www.911ep.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ How's your cheese holding out? +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: date_part function

From
Charles Curley
Date:
On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 03:56:58PM -0600, John Burski wrote:
> My bad!!
>
> I was reading the docs for 7.0.3 (which I've installed on my workstation)
> and ssh'd across to a different box using an older version (6.5.2).  Too
> many xterms running at the same time.  Sheesh!  I need a vacation!

You may need a vacation, but you also need to set your shell prompt up to
set the xterm's title bar to indicate the host and working directory. For
bash:

# Show path in xterm title bar. Originally from Russel & Crawford, "Unix &
# Linux Answers", Osborne, 1998

if [ "$TERM" = xterm ]; then
  PS1='\u@\h \$ \[\033]0;xterm \h:\w\007\]'
else
  PS1='\u@\h \w \\$ '
fi

--

        -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley
Attachment