NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

From
"Beth K. Gatewood"
Date:
Hi-

What does this mean?

% psql template1
NOTICE:  Unrecognized variable client_encoding

I am able to connect, I can create a db and tables but what is this
notice????

I have just upgraded to 7.0.3.

The only other thing I tried to do was run a suite of in house programs
that parse files, create a db and load it with data from the files (and
there were indeed some problems with that including some EOF thing...)

Thanks for the interpretation of this notice

Beth

Re: NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

Date:
"Beth K. Gatewood" <bethg@mbt.washington.edu> writes:
> What does this mean?

> % psql template1
> NOTICE:  Unrecognized variable client_encoding

It means you're running a MULTIBYTE-enabled psql (or more specifically
libpq) against a non-MULTIBYTE server.  Perhaps you are invoking a copy
of libpq from an older installation that was compiled with different
configure options.

The notice is harmless enough, but you may want to get your client and
server into sync...

            regards, tom lane