.bashrc for postgres user

From
Steve Petersen
Date:
Hey folks,

Is there something I don't get about having an unusual home directory
like /var/lib/pgsql for the postgres user (in the RPM installation of
pgsql)?  I like to start postmaster manually, but I don't like to type
the data directory each time.  So I tried exporting EDITOR and PGDATA
env variables in postgres's .bashrc (in /var/lib/pgsql), but it doesn't
work.  If I type '. .bashrc' before typing 'postmaster', though, it
works fine.  What gives?

Thanks!
Steve

Re: .bashrc for postgres user

From
Charles Curley
Date:
On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:12:14AM -0400, Steve Petersen wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Is there something I don't get about having an unusual home directory
> like /var/lib/pgsql for the postgres user (in the RPM installation of
> pgsql)?  I like to start postmaster manually, but I don't like to type
> the data directory each time.  So I tried exporting EDITOR and PGDATA
> env variables in postgres's .bashrc (in /var/lib/pgsql), but it doesn't
> work.  If I type '. .bashrc' before typing 'postmaster', though, it
> works fine.  What gives?
>
> Thanks!
> Steve

On login, bash runs your .bash_profile, which should then call
.bashrc. .bash_profile is called only on login, but .bashrc is called each
time a term is launched. So put those into .bash_profile. Other terms will
inherit them.

To make sure .bash_profile is called when you su to postgres, do it with a
- in the command line:

su - postgres

This forces bash to execute .bash_profile and do some other things as
though you had just logged in.

The gory details are at: "man bash".

--

        -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley
Attachment

Re: .bashrc for postgres user

From
ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Date:
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Steve Petersen wrote:

> Is there something I don't get about having an unusual home directory
> like /var/lib/pgsql for the postgres user (in the RPM installation of
> pgsql)?  I like to start postmaster manually, but I don't like to type
> the data directory each time.  So I tried exporting EDITOR and PGDATA
> env variables in postgres's .bashrc (in /var/lib/pgsql), but it doesn't
> work.  If I type '. .bashrc' before typing 'postmaster', though, it
> works fine.  What gives?

Aren't there 2 PG variables to export?  I'm not sure, but I believe
that only the original Bourne shell is the only one which doesn't
have 2 RC files.  One which gets read only at login (when the name
of the shell is actually -sh), and the other everytime a shell
is spawned.  Or something like that.  Anyway, quite a few init
files seem to include (source) a file of environment information,
so it may be that your setup is somehow deficient.  You could
always set the -x switch at the top of your .bashrc file, and
if all the instructions get echoed to the screen, you will
know that the file is being read.  This may also show you why
those particular variables are not being exported.

Sorry for the vague answer.
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca