Host problem

From
Fredrick Bartlett
Date:
I have configured the folllowing files as so...

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1          home_dev1
192.168.1.100  home_dev1

pg_hba.conf
host   all                                              trust
host   all   0.0.0.0  255.255.255.255   trust
I know redundance.
Why can't I log on using HOST name from remote client.

Started postmasted with -i option.
psql -h 192.168.100 my_database  << this works LOCAL
psql -h home_dev1 my_database  << this works LOCAL
psql -h 192.168.100 my_database  << this works REMOTELY
psql -h home_dev1 my_database  << this does not work REMOTELY

What confg am I missing?

Fredrick

Re: Host problem

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 11:56:15AM -0700, Fredrick Bartlett wrote:
> I have configured the folllowing files as so...
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1          home_dev1
> 192.168.1.100  home_dev1

[snip]

> psql -h home_dev1 my_database  << this does not work REMOTELY
>
> What confg am I missing?

You probably need to setup the remote machines to resolve the hostname
'home_dev1' to the IP '192.168.1.100'. If the other machines are running
UNIX, just put this in /etc/hosts, like you did on the machine running
postmaster:

192.168.1.100   home_dev1

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is
always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion
ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind,
and therfore the safer engine for their purpose.
        -- Thomas Jefferson

Attachment