Host IP

From
Fredrick Bartlett
Date:
Hello,  List!

How can I connect to the remote PostgresSQL host using IP address,  not
host name.

Fredrick

Re: Host IP

From
"Anthony E . Greene"
Date:
On 23 Aug 2000 14:22 Fredrick Bartlett wrote:
>How can I connect to the remote PostgresSQL host using IP address,  not
>host name.

If you can't figure out anything else, make up a name and add an entry in
your own hosts file (normally /etc/hosts) that points to the remote server.

--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D

Re: Host IP

From
tuan
Date:
Fredrick Bartlett wrote:

> Hello,  List!
>
> How can I connect to the remote PostgresSQL host using IP address,  not
> host name.
>
> Fredrick

provided you started the remote postmaster with -i option,simply
replace hostname by IP address :

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dbname

But remember previous posts :IP sockets less secure.(thanks for your
explanation,Gordon )

May be improved with ssh login to the host running the backend then run
psql or front-end programs from there ? Though doing this needs to set up an
user account on the server for every person allowed to connect to the
database .

How do you think ?

--
     /\   /\