Regarding GSoc proposal

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
Hi all,

I submitted a proposal for GSoc 2012.Please review it and let me know
your comments.

The link is:

https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/atrisharma/1001

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: Regarding GSoc proposal

From
dmp
Date:
Atri Sharma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I submitted a proposal for GSoc 2012.Please review it and let me know
> your comments.
>
> The link is:
>
> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/atrisharma/1001
>
> Atri

The purpose of this is? Several database access tools already provide generic
interfaces to several data sources at any one time. If the purpose is to pull
data from a foreign database into PostgreSQL perhaps there is a need for that
functionality, though I can think of more straight forward approaches than this
wrapper methodology. Perhaps this would be a good exercise, but I guess I'm not
understanding the exact purpose or need for this.

If work is to be performed with the PostgreSQL JDBC wouldn't a task which the
community desires completed to update/expand the functionality of the JDBC
be more appropriate?

danap.

Re: Regarding GSoc proposal

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM, dmp <danap@ttc-cmc.net> wrote:
> Atri Sharma wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I submitted a proposal for GSoc 2012.Please review it and let me know
>> your comments.
>>
>> The link is:
>>

>> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/atrisharma/1001
>>
>> Atri
>

> The purpose of this is? Several database access tools already provide
> generic
> interfaces to several data sources at any one time. If the purpose is to
> pull
> data from a foreign database into PostgreSQL perhaps there is a need for
> that
> functionality, though I can think of more straight forward approaches than
> this
> wrapper methodology. Perhaps this would be a good exercise, but I guess I'm
> not
> understanding the exact purpose or need for this.
>
> If work is to be performed with the PostgreSQL JDBC wouldn't a task which
> the
> community desires completed to update/expand the functionality of the JDBC
> be more appropriate?
>
> danap.

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

Dave

Re: Regarding GSoc proposal

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM, dmp <danap@ttc-cmc.net> wrote:
> >
> > If work is to be performed with the PostgreSQL JDBC wouldn't a task
> > which the community desires completed to update/expand the
> > functionality of the JDBC be more appropriate?
> >

> This pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that this improvement is really
a server improvement and has nothing to do with the PG JDBC driver.  Atri
was interested in doing something JDBC related and solicited for ideas
here, but ended up proposing something that would use the generic JDBC
interface, but not necessarily the Postgresql JDBC driver and would not
require modifying it even if it was used.

So it may be useful for Atri to continue to include the -jdbc list on
discussions if he wants specific advice on the JDBC API, but other than
that it is not a PG JDBC project.

Kris Jurka

Re: Regarding GSoc proposal

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM, dmp <danap@ttc-cmc.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > If work is to be performed with the PostgreSQL JDBC wouldn't a task
>> > which the community desires completed to update/expand the
>> > functionality of the JDBC be more appropriate?
>> >

>> This pretty much sums up my opinion as well.
>>

> I think the confusion comes from the fact that this improvement is really
> a server improvement and has nothing to do with the PG JDBC driver.  Atri
> was interested in doing something JDBC related and solicited for ideas
> here, but ended up proposing something that would use the generic JDBC
> interface, but not necessarily the Postgresql JDBC driver and would not
> require modifying it even if it was used.
>
> So it may be useful for Atri to continue to include the -jdbc list on
> discussions if he wants specific advice on the JDBC API, but other than
> that it is not a PG JDBC project.
>
> Kris Jurka

Hi All,

Kris:Thank you for the clarification.You are correct,my project uses
the generic JDBC driver for building a functionality for the Server.It
has no modifications/enhancements for the PostGreSQL JDBC driver
itself.

I shall mark the -jdbc list only when I need some support for the
JDBC(as my project will be extensively using JDBC).For the rest,I
shall not bother you all.

Thank you all for your time,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [HACKERS] Regarding GSoc proposal

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Atri Sharma wrote:
> I submitted a proposal for GSoc 2012.Please review it and let me know
> your comments.
>
> The link is:

https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/
atrisharma/1001

I think that this is a pretty cool idea.
Have you contacted the developers of PL/Java?  Close collaboration with
them
might be beneficial for both projects.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Date:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
> Atri Sharma wrote:
>> I submitted a proposal for GSoc 2012.Please review it and let me know
>> your comments.
>>
>> The link is:
>>

> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/
> atrisharma/1001
>
> I think that this is a pretty cool idea.
> Have you contacted the developers of PL/Java?  Close collaboration with
> them
> might be beneficial for both projects.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Hi Laurenz,

Thank you for appreciating my proposal.

I will surely contact the Pl/Java team and get their view on this.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant