java 1.4 for how long ?

From
gustav trede
Date:
Hello,

Sun made 1.4t EOL during 2008, when is pgjdbc codebase planned to move forward to 1.5 ?.

--
regards
 gustav trede

Re: java 1.4 for how long ?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
gustav trede wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sun made 1.4t EOL during 2008, when is pgjdbc codebase planned to move
> forward to 1.5 ?.

if anything, it should skip forward to OpenJDK 6

Re: java 1.4 for how long ?

From
gustav trede

2009/7/17 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
gustav trede wrote:
Hello,

Sun made 1.4t EOL during 2008, when is pgjdbc codebase planned to move forward to 1.5 ?.

if anything, it should skip forward to OpenJDK 6

1.5 is going EOL this year,  the problem is that real world deployments lag behind in upgrading, sometimes for the good reason of stability.

Moving to 1.6 will cut of more users then 1.5 would do, my personal opinion is that it from a community standpoint might be a bit too early to drop 1.5 support,
especially since 1.6 dont offer so much new stuff as 1.5 did vs 1.4 .

--
regards
 gustav trede

Re: java 1.4 for how long ?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
gustav trede wrote:

> 2009/7/17 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>>
>
>     gustav trede wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         Sun made 1.4t EOL during 2008, when is pgjdbc codebase planned
>         to move forward to 1.5 ?.
>

>     if anything, it should skip forward to OpenJDK 6
>

> 1.5 is going EOL this year,  the problem is that real world
> deployments lag behind in upgrading, sometimes for the good reason of
> stability.
>
> Moving to 1.6 will cut of more users then 1.5 would do, my personal
> opinion is that it from a community standpoint might be a bit too
> early to drop 1.5 support,
> especially since 1.6 dont offer so much new stuff as 1.5 did vs 1.4 .

I just realized you were talking about JDBC and not PL/Java...  I concur
re: 1.5 for JDBC, that has to work with as many different java releases
as possible.