PostgreSQL_db_change_notification

From
iceDice
Date:
Hello,

Does PostgreSQL supports some database change notification mechanism?
I have Java Swing application and PostgreSQL database for storing data.
The problem is that my database can change at any moment and instead of
querying
the database every 5 seconds, I would like the database to some how send my
application
a notification of a change when it happens.

I would appreciate if someone can give me example how to accomplish it
between JDBC and PostgreSQL.

Thanks.

Re: PostgreSQL_db_change_notification

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM, iceDice<nmilasinovic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does PostgreSQL supports some database change notification mechanism?
> I have Java Swing application and PostgreSQL database for storing data.
> The problem is that my database can change at any moment and instead of
> querying
> the database every 5 seconds, I would like the database to some how send my
> application
> a notification of a change when it happens.

The Postgresy way to do this is to have triggers on the tables you
want to watch which use the NOTIFY command. Then have your client
issue a LISTEN.

I'm not sure how this works with JDBC though...

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf