Understanding PGInterval

From
"r.trommer@open-factory.org"
Date:
Hello List,

i try to understand how i can use the PGInterval Object. I have to
solve a little issue in Java. I have created a SQL-statement which
give me a resultset like this:

id | duration
1  | 01:49:00
2  | 00:30:00

The datetypes id = int and duration = PGInterval. I would like to sum
the both duration values in Java. I can´t use a SQL sum because i need
the results later to report some details.

I use postgresql-8.1-404.jdbc2.jar

Thank you in advance

Ronny

Re: Understanding PGInterval

From
Kris Jurka

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, r.trommer@open-factory.org wrote:

> i try to understand how i can use the PGInterval Object. I have to
> solve a little issue in Java. I have created a SQL-statement which
> give me a resultset like this:
>
> id | duration
> 1  | 01:49:00
> 2  | 00:30:00
>
> The datetypes id = int and duration = PGInterval. I would like to sum
> the both duration values in Java. I can´t use a SQL sum because i need
> the results later to report some details.

The 8.3 driver series has an enhancement to PGInterval which supports
adding them together.  So you can do interval1.add(interval2) to sum
things up.  What it doesn't support is justifying the results, so in the
example you've shown above the total would be 1 hour, 79 minutes rather
than 2 hours and 19 minutes.

Kris Jurka