scrollable ResultSet advise

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
Hi, i am just migrating from 7.4 to 8.3, and i have this issue:
In the old 7.4 days i wrote a simple function to get the size of a ResultSet.
public static int FS(ResultSet rs) throws SQLException{    /* fetch size */
        rs.last();
        int cnt = rs.getRow();
        rs.beforeFirst();
        return cnt;
}

However, in plain connnection.prepareStatement(String sql) calls, ResultSet type defaults to FORWARD_ONLY,
making the above code broken.

I am wandering if there is a quick way to solve this problem, without touching the huge number of PreparedStatements
in the code.
Has anyone solved this problem using some kind of a wrapper, e.g. using wrapper classes from jboss?
--
Achilleas Mantzios

Re: scrollable ResultSet advise

From
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> However, in plain connnection.prepareStatement(String sql) calls,
> ResultSet type defaults to FORWARD_ONLY, making the above code broken.
>
> I am wandering if there is a quick way to solve this problem, without
> touching the huge number of PreparedStatements in the code.

The easiest thing would just be to adjust the driver source code to
restore the old behavior.

Kris Jurka

Re: scrollable ResultSet advise

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
Στις Thursday 15 May 2008 09:14:52 ο/η Kris Jurka έγραψε:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>
> > However, in plain connnection.prepareStatement(String sql) calls,
> > ResultSet type defaults to FORWARD_ONLY, making the above code broken.
> >
> > I am wandering if there is a quick way to solve this problem, without
> > touching the huge number of PreparedStatements in the code.
>
> The easiest thing would just be to adjust the driver source code to
> restore the old behavior.
Thanx,
I thought about it and abandoned that idea, since i speculate it would come back and bite me sometime in the future.
Also now the fact that jdbc is not in the server source base it is even more discouraging.
i just rewrote the prepareStatement()'s calls.
Thanx for your answer.

--
Achilleas Mantzios