Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
"Loredana Curugiu"
Date:
Hi all,

I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel on
different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different versions
of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
operating system.

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Loredana
Loredana Curugiu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel on
> different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different versions
> of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
> operating system.

You can install from source and provide the --prefix argument to the
configure command.

Sean

Re: Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
Giuseppe Sacco
Date:
Il giorno ven, 10/08/2007 alle 14.33 +0300, Loredana Curugiu ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel
> on
> different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different
> versions
> of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
> operating system.

You may use different --prefix while running configure, and then provide
different TCP/IP ports. If you use Debian, you may install all packages
at the same time without problems.

Bye,
Giuseppe

Re: [SQL] Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 8/10/07, Loredana Curugiu <loredana.curugiu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel on
>  different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different versions
>  of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
>  operating system.

FYI, Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.

With RedHat, you'll either need to build your own RPMs from source
where each goes to a different directory etc OR compile from source
using a different --prefix and then use separate startup scripts that
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH etc... for each install on startup.

If you're running Debian, you can install >1 version of pgsql side by
side.  Not sure how it's done exactly, but I've heard it repeated
enough to believe it's true.

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 14:33 +0300, Loredana Curugiu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel
> on
> different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different
> versions
> of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
> operating system.

If you run Debian or Ubuntu you can do this with the package system.

  apt-get install postgresql-8.2 postgresql-7.4

The two versions are automatically installed to run on different ports.
Look at the docs and manpages for the postgresql-common package to see
how it works.

If you can't do that, you can install a different version from source in
a different directory tree; then have its postmaster run on a different
port.  Specify the port number when connecting so as to get to the
postmaster you want.

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html

believed to be clean.

Re: Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
"Loredana Curugiu"
Date:
I didn't succeed installing the two versions of postgres.
For installing I am running the "configure" script as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-7.4.5 --with-java --with-pgport=6947

Although I specify a different port than the default one, the postgres it is installed with the
default port. The port must be specified also in another configuration files?

Regards,
      Loredana

Date:
Il giorno lun, 13/08/2007 alle 11.19 +0300, Loredana Curugiu ha scritto:
> I didn't succeed installing the two versions of postgres.
> For installing I am running the "configure" script as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-7.4.5 --with-java
> --with-pgport=6947
>
> Although I specify a different port than the default one, the postgres
> it is installed with the
> default port. The port must be specified also in another configuration
> files?

Once you installed postgresql, you may specify a TCP in file
postgresql.conf.

Bye,
Giuseppe

"Loredana Curugiu" <loredana.curugiu@gmail.com> writes:
> For installing I am running the "configure" script as follows:

>  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-7.4.5 --with-java --with-pgport=6947

> Although I specify a different port than the default one, the postgres it is
> installed with the default port.

On what grounds do you conclude that?  I use --with-pgport every day.
It works fine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [NOVICE] Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
"Loredana Curugiu"

"Loredana Curugiu" <loredana.curugiu@gmail.com> writes:
> For installing I am running the "configure" script as follows:

>  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql- 7.4.5 --with-java --with-pgport=6947

> Although I specify a different port than the default one, the postgres it is
> installed with the default port.

On what grounds do you conclude that?  I use --with-pgport every day.
It works fine.

For me it didn't work. I had to specify in postgresql.conf the port and after that
it worked.

Thank you for the replys. Were very usefull.

Greetings,
       Loredana

Re: Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Loredana,

"Loredana Curugiu" <loredana.curugiu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel on
> different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different versions
> of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
> operating system.

Which Linux distribution are you using?

Debian supports running multiple PostgreSQL major versions out of the
box.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org