PG driver for J2ME?

From
Mohannad Hussain
Date:
Good day,

We developed a lumber inventory system using PHP and PostgreSQL. Our
clients are really happy with it and now they want to extend it to be
used on hand held devices. The sample I have here is running Windows CE
5.0.

I picked J2ME as the language for this project since Java is the
'portable' language, however, I am facing a huge obstacle here because
the JDBC drivers for PGSQL are not compatible with J2ME. Apparently JDBC
for J2ME supports a subset of JDBC 3.0 API for J2SE, for example,
instead of using the DriverManager it only supports DataSource and so on.

I am not sure if you guys have a stripped down version that would work
with J2ME, or know of another driver that might work or if you have
something else in mind... Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,

--
Mohannad Hussain, B.Sc.
Software Developer, Alliance Interactive

Re: PG driver for J2ME?

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Mohannad Hussain wrote:

> We developed a lumber inventory system using PHP and PostgreSQL. Our clients
> are really happy with it and now they want to extend it to be used on hand
> held devices. The sample I have here is running Windows CE 5.0.
>
> I picked J2ME as the language for this project since Java is the 'portable'
> language, however, I am facing a huge obstacle here because the JDBC drivers
> for PGSQL are not compatible with J2ME. Apparently JDBC for J2ME supports a
> subset of JDBC 3.0 API for J2SE, for example, instead of using the
> DriverManager it only supports DataSource and so on.
>
> I am not sure if you guys have a stripped down version that would work with
> J2ME, or know of another driver that might work or if you have something else
> in mind... Any advice is appreciated!

No we don't have a J2ME version, nor have we ever even looked into
creating one, so I have no idea if it would be a lot of work or just a
little.

Kris Jurka

Re: PG driver for J2ME?

From
Leonel
Date:
On 4/19/07, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Mohannad Hussain wrote:
>
> > We developed a lumber inventory system using PHP and PostgreSQL. Our clients
> > are really happy with it and now they want to extend it to be used on hand
> > held devices. The sample I have here is running Windows CE 5.0.
> >
> > I picked J2ME as the language for this project since Java is the 'portable'
> > language, however, I am facing a huge obstacle here because the JDBC drivers
> > for PGSQL are not compatible with J2ME. Apparently JDBC for J2ME supports a
> > subset of JDBC 3.0 API for J2SE, for example, instead of using the
> > DriverManager it only supports DataSource and so on.
> >
> > I am not sure if you guys have a stripped down version that would work with
> > J2ME, or know of another driver that might work or if you have something else
> > in mind... Any advice is appreciated!
> >

> No we don't have a J2ME version, nor have we ever even looked into
> creating one, so I have no idea if it would be a lot of work or just a
> little.
>
> Kris Jurka

go webservices
or REST
or something like that

or if you database will be online  and the  PDA has internet access
try to access your  php app in the PDA browser

--
Leonel

Re: PG driver for J2ME?

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
On 19-Apr-07, at 12:42 PM, Leonel wrote:

> On 4/19/07, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Mohannad Hussain wrote:
>>
>> > We developed a lumber inventory system using PHP and PostgreSQL.
>> Our clients
>> > are really happy with it and now they want to extend it to be
>> used on hand
>> > held devices. The sample I have here is running Windows CE 5.0.
>> >
>> > I picked J2ME as the language for this project since Java is the
>> 'portable'
>> > language, however, I am facing a huge obstacle here because the
>> JDBC drivers
>> > for PGSQL are not compatible with J2ME. Apparently JDBC for J2ME
>> supports a
>> > subset of JDBC 3.0 API for J2SE, for example, instead of using the
>> > DriverManager it only supports DataSource and so on.
>> >
>> > I am not sure if you guys have a stripped down version that
>> would work with
>> > J2ME, or know of another driver that might work or if you have
>> something else
>> > in mind... Any advice is appreciated!
>> >

>> No we don't have a J2ME version, nor have we ever even looked into
>> creating one, so I have no idea if it would be a lot of work or
>> just a
>> little.
>>
>> Kris Jurka
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>>

> go webservices
> or REST
> or something like that
>
> or if you database will be online  and the  PDA has internet access
> try to access your  php app in the PDA browser

I'd have to agree with this...

Dave