Re: 25P02, current transaction is aborted, commands ignored

From
"Amaresh Wakkar"

"Oliver Jowett" wrote:

Amaresh Wakkar wrote:
> Thanks!!
>
> The code works fine after I added savepoints around "Okay,even if
> fails" statement.
>
> What is the idea behind taking this route(i.e all statements ignored
> till end of block) though? Is there any archive thread discussing this?

There should be tons, it comes up regularly whenever someone ports an
app from Oracle..

> In this particular case, the autocommit is off and the statement has
> failed so there is no risk of changes being made permanent(presumable PG
> would rollback at database level the changed buffers etc.,) unless the
> commit() method is invoked. Why then explicit rollback is needed? Is it
> not best if it is left to programmer to handle this in exception
> handling code?

There are arguments both ways. To some extent it depends on who you
trust more to get the code right: the DB developer (once) or the app
developer (once per query).

Amaresh

-O

Indiatimes Email now powered by APIC Advantage. Help!

Re: 25P02, current transaction is aborted, commands ignored

From
sangeetha
Date:
Dear all,
  Actually i am trying to insert some values within a transaction. I am
also carrying out some data select operations after opening the
transaction. But i am getting the above mentioned error. But i want the
insert to happen. Please reply back to me as early as possible. i would
be very thankful to you guys. I am sending through mail because i am
unable to post my issue.

Regards,
Sangeetha
(Team lead/GBBPR Soft).

Re: 25P02, current transaction is aborted, commands ignored

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Any error in your transaction causes it to abort.

Dave
On 13-May-08, at 8:50 AM, sangeetha wrote:

> Dear all,
> Actually i am trying to insert some values within a transaction. I
> am also carrying out some data select operations after opening the
> transaction. But i am getting the above mentioned error. But i want
> the insert to happen. Please reply back to me as early as possible.
> i would be very thankful to you guys. I am sending through mail
> because i am unable to post my issue.
>
> Regards,
> Sangeetha
> (Team lead/GBBPR Soft).

Re: 25P02, current transaction is aborted, commands ignored

From
"Albe Laurenz"
sangeetha wrote:
>   Actually i am trying to insert some values within a transaction. I am
> also carrying out some data select operations after opening the
> transaction. But i am getting the above mentioned error. But i want the
> insert to happen. Please reply back to me as early as possible. i would
> be very thankful to you guys. I am sending through mail because i am
> unable to post my issue.

One of the statements within you transaction caused an error.
Every following statement in the transaction will raise the error
message you get until you ROLLBACK the whole transaction.

To preempt the question what you can do if you do not want to rollback
the whole transaction because of an error, I recommend the use of
savepoints:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-savepoint.html

Just set one before every statement that might cause an error,
and ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT if you get one.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe