OutOfMemory causing connection leaks

From
David Blasby
Date:
I have a DB where each row is *giagantic* (up to 60mb in size).  I have
my fetch size set to 200. I realize that this isnt so smart, but the
problem it causes is more generic than my specific situation.

While reading, an OutOfMemoryError gets thrown and I start closing
things down.  So far, so good.

I close the statement and close the result set - freeing up a bunch of
memory.  Unfortunately, I get problems when I try to close the
connection and release it to the connection pool.  This fails - most
likely because it was in the middle of reading a tuple when it was
rudely interupted by running out of memory.

It actually runs out of memory in PGStream.ReceiveTupleV3(), called from
QueryExecutorImpl.processResults().

Later, the connection is closed and the
PooledConnectionImpl$ConnectionHandler.invoke() is called, which
(because we're not AutoCommit) attempt to rollback the transaction with
a con.rollback().  This is where the problem occurs.

Inside QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(), it gets a "\" from the server
(highly likely from the bytea returned from the original query).  It, of
course, doesnt understand this and throws an "An I/O error occured while
sending to the backend." error.

The end result is that the connection doesnt appear to be closed and
released back to the connection pool.  This means that connections to
the database are being leaked, and probably a fair amount of memory.
This, of course, causes the OutOfMemory error to happen more often.

dave

Re: OutOfMemory causing connection leaks

From
Kris Jurka

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, David Blasby wrote:

> [OutOfMemory errors leave protocol stream in unknown state]

Yeah, that's a problem alright.  The easiest thing to do is to treat an
out of memory error like an IOException and destroy the whole connection
immediately.  This isn't terribly friendly though and the vast majority
of the errors are going to come from ReceiveTupleV3, so we could put some
checks in that path that could get the protocol back into a known state.
Adding checks around every allocation isn't going to be worth the effort.

Kris Jurka

Re: OutOfMemory causing connection leaks

Date:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, David Blasby wrote:
>> [OutOfMemory errors leave protocol stream in unknown state]

> Yeah, that's a problem alright.  The easiest thing to do is to treat an
> out of memory error like an IOException and destroy the whole connection
> immediately.  This isn't terribly friendly though and the vast majority
> of the errors are going to come from ReceiveTupleV3, so we could put some
> checks in that path that could get the protocol back into a known state.
> Adding checks around every allocation isn't going to be worth the effort.

We went through this same evolution with libpq awhile back, and pretty
much did what you say above: make sure that OOM during tuple collection
was handled in a friendly way.  OOM at other places is likely to leave
things a bit broken.  So far there've not been many complaints ...

            regards, tom lane

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, David Blasby wrote:
>
>> [OutOfMemory errors leave protocol stream in unknown state]
>
> Yeah, that's a problem alright.  The easiest thing to do is to treat an out
> of memory error like an IOException and destroy the whole connection
> immediately.  This isn't terribly friendly though and the vast majority of
> the errors are going to come from ReceiveTupleV3, so we could put some checks
> in that path that could get the protocol back into a known state. Adding
> checks around every allocation isn't going to be worth the effort.

I've applied a patch for this to 8.0, 8.1, and HEAD cvs branches and new
official releases should hopefully be out soon.

Kris Jurka

Re: OutOfMemory causing connection leaks

From
David Blasby

> I've applied a patch for this to 8.0, 8.1, and HEAD cvs branches and new
> official releases should hopefully be out soon.

Thanks - I will check it out.

dave