Questions on property values

From
Carsten Marx
Date:
Hello,
I've some small questions.
We use the Postgres 8.0-311 JDBC 3 driver in a appülication to
connect to a Postgres-DB-Server (Version(8.0)). The Target JDK is 1.4.2.
We need in our case a reliable connection. In other words, if the
connection is down, the JDBC driver should try to reconnect certain
times without throwing exceptions.
I looked via the DriverPropertyInfo[] method to all the available
properties, but there seems to be no options like autoReconnect and
maxReconnects as in the MySQL jbdc driver.
Am i blind? Or is there another way to do this?

Best Regards
Carsten Marx

--
University of Konstanz
tel. 07531-88-2861

Re: Questions on property values

From
Craig Servin
Date:
When I have needed to do this I have used a dynamic proxy, using
java.lang.reflect.Proxy, to extend Connection, Statement, and ResultSet.

This does not solve the problem at the driver level, but it does allow you a
lot of control to decide when and how often  you re-try a query and when you
need to re-open the connection.

You can also make it very database independent.

It does however incur some extra overhead.

Craig

Re: Questions on property values

From
Oliver Jowett
Date:
Carsten Marx wrote:

> We need in our case a reliable connection. In other words, if the
> connection is down, the JDBC driver should try to reconnect certain
> times without throwing exceptions.

The PostgreSQL driver doesn't provide this functionality. You could
achieve something similar by wrapping the driver, perhaps.. but doesn't
this belong in application logic?

-O