Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
"Kenneth Hutchinson"

Hello,

I am currently trying to reach a PostgreSQL database using Crystal Reports v11. My goal is to design a simple report that I can call from the Java viewer. Using the BO Xtreme database example everything is fine, but when I flip the switch to remotely access a PostgreSQL db, a connection is created in the Database Expert, but no tables are displayed.

If I create a Command that has SQL like "select * from table XYZ", I do get results back, but I don't understand why I have to do this if CR designer won't show me the tables.

Also, every time I try to access my connection, it tells me that "This method is not yet implemented". It doesn’t tell me which method, though.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get PostgreSQL up and running with Crystal Reports v11? Should I switch to v10?

Setup:

Crystal Reports v11

PostgreSQL db

PostgreSQL driver pg74.215.jdbc3.jar

jdk1.4.2_06

Thanks!

kh

This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary to RealPage and its affiliated companies. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding or copying of this communication is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message.

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
"Xavier Poinsard"
Date:
Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:
> Also, every time I try to access my connection, it tells me that "This
> method is not yet implemented". It doesn’t tell me which method, though.
Don't you have a stack trace ?

> Can anyone shed some light on how to get PostgreSQL up and running with
> Crystal Reports v11? Should I switch to v10?

Did you try with the latest JDBC driver ?

> PostgreSQL db
Which version ?

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
"Kenneth Hutchinson"
Date:
Yeah, I've tried several versions.  I'm using the latest one for the
current version of PG we are running (7.4).

Right now I can ping the database in Crystal (though by using commands
instead of being able to retrieve the tables).  But when I run the
report from a JSP (report viewer), the connection info doesn't work.

Don't know if this is two difference issues or if both are related to
weird driver behavior.

> Also, every time I try to access my connection, it tells me that "This

> method is not yet implemented". It doesn't tell me which method,
though.
Don't you have a stack trace ?

> Can anyone shed some light on how to get PostgreSQL up and running
with
> Crystal Reports v11? Should I switch to v10?

Did you try with the latest JDBC driver ?

> PostgreSQL db
Which version ?

Date:
Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:
> Yeah, I've tried several versions.  I'm using the latest one for the
> current version of PG we are running (7.4).

As stated in http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html :
"Much care is taken to make newer driver releases work against older
servers, so if you are having a problem and suspect it is the driver's
fault, don't hesitate to try out the latest release on an older server."

> Right now I can ping the database in Crystal (though by using commands
> instead of being able to retrieve the tables).  But when I run the
> report from a JSP (report viewer), the connection info doesn't work.
>
> Don't know if this is two difference issues or if both are related to
> weird driver behavior.
>
> Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:
>
>>Also, every time I try to access my connection, it tells me that "This
>

>>method is not yet implemented". It doesn't tell me which method,
>
> though.
> Don't you have a stack trace ?
>

>>Can anyone shed some light on how to get PostgreSQL up and running
>
> with
>
>>Crystal Reports v11? Should I switch to v10?
>

> Did you try with the latest JDBC driver ?
>

>>PostgreSQL db
>
> Which version ?

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Kris Jurka

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Xavier Poinsard wrote:

> Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:
> > Also, every time I try to access my connection, it tells me that "This
> > method is not yet implemented". It doesn�t tell me which method, though.
>
> Don't you have a stack trace ?

Right, without knowing what method is actually being called and failing it
is tough to determine if a workaround is available or how much work it
would be to implement the method.

Kris Jurka

Date:
Kris Jurka wrote:

> Right, without knowing what method is actually being called and failing it
> is tough to determine if a workaround is available or how much work it
> would be to implement the method.

I read in the code that the Uninmplemented exception was designed to
reduce driver size, but would you consider a patch adding the name of
the unimplemented function to the message  ?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Xavier Poinsard wrote:

> I read in the code that the Uninmplemented exception was designed to
> reduce driver size, but would you consider a patch adding the name of
> the unimplemented function to the message  ?

I don't know, it doesn't seem all that useful.  Anyone doing real
development will surely know what function they are calling and will have
the stacktrace handy.  If we find out that Crystal Reports or other
applications only return the error message with no context then we should
probably do something about it.  For now I believe time would be better
spent actually implementing these methods.

Kris Jurka

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
"Kenneth Hutchinson"
Date:
Yes, please add this.  Or have it write to a log or something.  Usually
an app has a details button that allows you to see a trace or something
with more detail.  What is provided is not sufficient.

kh

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary to RealPage and its affiliated companies. If the reader
ofthis message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding
orcopying of this communication is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you have received this
communicationin error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message.

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Kenneth,

Kenneth Hutchinson schrieb:
> Yes, please add this.  Or have it write to a log or something.  Usually
> an app has a details button that allows you to see a trace or something
> with more detail.  What is provided is not sufficient.

I would say that it is on behalf of the app to present the Stacktrace of
the NotImplementedException to the user.

It is unwise for a driver to assume it can wildly write to stdout /
stderr or wherever.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich

Attachment

Date:
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Xavier Poinsard wrote:
>

>>I read in the code that the Uninmplemented exception was designed to
>>reduce driver size, but would you consider a patch adding the name of
>>the unimplemented function to the message  ?
>>

> I don't know, it doesn't seem all that useful.  Anyone doing real
> development will surely know what function they are calling and will have
> the stacktrace handy.  If we find out that Crystal Reports or other
> applications only return the error message with no context then we should
> probably do something about it.  For now I believe time would be better
> spent actually implementing these methods.

Sure, but they are a lot of methods to implement and if we want to fix
quickly the functions used by Crystal reports (for example), without
stack trace, it is the only simple way.

> Kris Jurka

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Vadim Nasardinov
Date:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 11:05, Xavier Poinsard wrote:
> > I don't know, it doesn't seem all that useful.  Anyone doing real
> > development will surely know what function they are calling and
> > will have the stacktrace handy.  If we find out that Crystal
> > Reports or other applications only return the error message with
> > no context then we should probably do something about it.  For now
> > I believe time would be better spent actually implementing these
> > methods.
>
> Sure, but they are a lot of methods to implement and if we want to
> fix quickly the functions used by Crystal reports (for example),
> without stack trace, it is the only simple way.

I haven't been following this thread very closely. Excuse me if I'm
totally off base here.

I assume you're talking about this method in org.postgresql.Driver:

    public static SQLException notImplemented()
    {
        return new PSQLException(GT.tr("This method is not yet implemented."), PSQLState.NOT_IMPLEMENTED);
    }

I agree with Kris that there is no need to include the method name in
the exception.  It is already shown in the stack trace.

However, you can easily patch this method so that it includes the
caller's method name in its error message.  All you have to do is peek
one level up the stack trace.

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Xavier Poinsard wrote:

> Sure, but they are a lot of methods to implement and if we want to fix
> quickly the functions used by Crystal reports (for example), without
> stack trace, it is the only simple way.

Well now that we know we can't get the stack trace from crystal reports I
agree.

Kris Jurka

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Vadim Nasardinov wrote:

> However, you can easily patch this method so that it includes the
> caller's method name in its error message.  All you have to do is peek
> one level up the stack trace.

I think this assumes you can use StackTraceElement which is a 1.4 JDK
feature.  Manual parsing seems error prone and a lot of work to solve a
very minor issue.

Kris Jurka

Date:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 14:15, Kris Jurka wrote:
> I think this assumes you can use StackTraceElement which is a 1.4
> JDK feature.

That would certainly help.

> Manual parsing seems error prone and a lot of work to solve a very
> minor issue.

I agree that it's not worth the effort, however minimal that effort might
be.

Out of curiousity though, what makes it error-prone?

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Vadim Nasardinov wrote:

> Out of curiousity though, what makes it error-prone?

Any ad-hoc parsing is easy to get wrong by forgetting corner cases.  I'm
not saying it can't be done correctly, just that we shouldn't bother.

Kris Jurka

Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL

From
Oliver Jowett
Date:
Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:
> Yes, please add this.  Or have it write to a log or something.  Usually
> an app has a details button that allows you to see a trace or something
> with more detail.  What is provided is not sufficient.

If you set a log writer on java.sql.DriverManager, every
java.sql.SQLException (or subclass e.g. PSQLException) will log a stack
trace on construction. I actually find this more annoying than useful
when debugging, but it's out of our control..

-O

Date:
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Vadim Nasardinov wrote:
>

>>Out of curiousity though, what makes it error-prone?
>>

> Any ad-hoc parsing is easy to get wrong by forgetting corner cases.  I'm
> not saying it can't be done correctly, just that we shouldn't bother.

Especially given that different JVMs format stack traces differently,
and Throwable.getStackTrace() is allowed to omit stack frames.

I think setting a DriverManager log writer is the simplest solution
here, closely followed by making notImplemented() take a method name arg.

-O

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Kenneth Hutchinson wrote:

> Yes, please add this.  Or have it write to a log or something.  Usually
> an app has a details button that allows you to see a trace or something
> with more detail.  What is provided is not sufficient.

Xavier Poinsard has provided a patch to do this and I've put up new
temporary jars if you'd like to retry:

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/kh/

Kris Jurka

stack traces are evil (was: Re: Crystal Reports / PostgreSQL)

From
Vadim Nasardinov
Date:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 16:08, Oliver Jowett wrote:
> > Any ad-hoc parsing is easy to get wrong by forgetting corner
> > cases.  I'm not saying it can't be done correctly, just that we
> > shouldn't bother.
>
> Especially given that different JVMs format stack traces
> differently, and Throwable.getStackTrace() is allowed to omit stack
> frames.

You're right as usual.

Here's a somewhat off-topic example of when relying on stack traces
backfires:

  http://weblog.ikvm.net/PermaLink.aspx?guid=245f4ca5-0512-4e66-a6c6-fa4d4af697ef