jdbc and large binary files

From
Warren Little
Date:
Hello,
   I'm currently using the LO api with the oid data type for storing
large objects.  I would like to switch to bytea data.  When I last
tested this idea (over 8 months ago) I experienced massive memory bloat
in the JDBC application.  I recall seeing some threads on fixing this
problem.  Can anyone tell me if this issue has been addressed in the
latest driver?

 thanks

--
Warren Little
Senior Vice President

Re: jdbc and large binary files

From
Oliver Jowett
Date:
Warren Little wrote:
> Hello,
>    I'm currently using the LO api with the oid data type for storing
> large objects.  I would like to switch to bytea data.  When I last
> tested this idea (over 8 months ago) I experienced massive memory bloat
> in the JDBC application.  I recall seeing some threads on fixing this
> problem.  Can anyone tell me if this issue has been addressed in the
> latest driver?

PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream() will now stream data directly to the
server with no additional heap storage needed. setBytes() takes a copy
of the bytearray it is given, but otherwise behaves like setBinaryStream().

ResultSet still stores the whole value on heap. To avoid this requires
protocol modifications.

-O