Tomcat - PostgreSQL - Perfomance Tuning

From
Germán Gazzoni
Date:
We’re using PostgresSQL with Tomcat on Linux Red Hat 9 kernel 2.4.20-8
and we´re experiencing performance problems when more than 20 users are
connected to the database..

The database has approximately 24 MB, the application is entirely
constructed with Java an all of connections on that database are using
JDBC.

The server characteristics are:
- Pentium 4 2.8 Mhz
- 2 GB of RAM
- 80 GB of disk storage

Any body can help us on how to begin a performance tuning job for this
architecture?.

Thanks,

Germán

Re: Tomcat - PostgreSQL - Perfomance Tuning

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
Are you using connection pooling? If not, that would be a good place to
start on the application side.

-Nick

""

The performance issue you are seeing may be more linux related manifesting on the database performance. Use a tool like
iperfto test the operating system with many client connections should give you a better idea. As suggested connection
poolingwill help in such a case.

Regards,
SI.

hasapproximately 24 MB, the application is entirely<br>> constructed with Java an all of connections on that database
broadcast)---------------------------<br>>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Re: Tomcat - PostgreSQL - Perfomance Tuning

From
Barry Lind
Date:
Germán,

You might also what to try the pgsql-performance mail list.

--Barry