Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail

From
Juan José Antonio Lix
Date:
Hello,

I'm a it consultant and right now I'm involving in a Customer Care project.
A month ago we decide to use a Linux platform to support the database server
and adopt PostgreSQL as our database server. Last month we had the first
testing "experience". We were trying to simulate 100 concurrent users, but
when just 30 were connected we receive the following crash:
"Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please report
this
exception: java.sql.SQLException: Sorry, too many clients already
        at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:125)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:517)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
        at DbManager.connect(DbManager.java:35)
        at Hilo.<init>(TheFrame.java:242)
        at TheFrame.main(TheFrame.java:181)"

If it means that PostgreSQL doesn't support more that 30 concurrent users
unfortunately we would have to migrate our current development to another
database server, such as MySQL or Oracle. But if, as I suppose, this is just
a JDBC driver's bug we would like to know if another "free-bug" driver is
available.

This is critical for us, so please, reply me as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Juan José Antolínez

http://inbox.excite.com

Re: Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
Juan-

Go to this page and look for MAX_CONNECTIONS:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?runtime-config.html

I think it will help.

-Nick

"Dave Cramer"
Date:
Juan,

You need to modify the server start up to create more connections check
the documentation for postmaster.
The command line switch is -N 128 -B 256 where -N defines the number of
connections, and -B defines the number of buffers. The buffers can be
higher, but at a minimum they need to be 2 x N. As for the driver's
bugs, I have been running a site 24 x 7 for over 1 year with no
problems. That's not to say there aren't bugs...

Thanks,

Dave

[...]

Jeremy Buchmann
Date:
Juan,

Look at the postmaster man page ('man postmaster') and look at
the -N switch.  That controls the maximum number of backends that
can be started.  The default is 32, which sounds consistent with your
problem.

--Jeremy

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 02:14 AM, Juan José Antonio Lix wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a it consultant and right now I'm involving in a Customer Care
> project.
> A month ago we decide to use a Linux platform to support the database
> server
> and adopt PostgreSQL as our database server. Last month we had the first
> testing "experience". We were trying to simulate 100 concurrent users,
> but
> when just 30 were connected we receive the following crash:
> "Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please
> report
> this
> exception: java.sql.SQLException: Sorry, too many clients already
>         at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:125)
>         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:517)
>         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
>         at DbManager.connect(DbManager.java:35)
>         at Hilo.<init>(TheFrame.java:242)
>         at TheFrame.main(TheFrame.java:181)"
>
> If it means that PostgreSQL doesn't support more that 30 concurrent
> users
> unfortunately we would have to migrate our current development to
> another
> database server, such as MySQL or Oracle. But if, as I suppose, this is
> just
> a JDBC driver's bug we would like to know if another "free-bug" driver
> is
> available.
>
> This is critical for us, so please, reply me as soon as possible.
>
> Thank you,
> Juan José Antolínez

> http://inbox.excite.com

Re: Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail

From
"Jayesh K. Parayali"
Date:
Why not close the connection as soon as you are done with the database
operation. That way you don't need that many connections open all the
time. Getting a new connections does not take much time if you are using
some kind of connection pooling. I have one application which uses
atmost 6 connections when there are 100 users working.

I don't know your requirement. Just a suggestion.

Jayesh

Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Juan,

You can also look at the file "postgresql.conf" which is in the
PostgreSQL "data" directory.  This has a parameter which specifies the
maximum number of connections PostgreSQL allows simultaneously, and is
read at PostgreSQL startup.

I've personally benchmarked PostgreSQL running with over 100
simultaneous connections, so it definitely works.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift