SQL-Statement is too long

From
Erwin Ambrosch
Date:
Hi,

I'm using Postgesql 7.0.3-8 and the postgresql-jdbc2.jar to talk to the
databse from within Java. I tried to write a quite long text into a TEXT
column, and got the following SQLExcpetion:  The SQL Statement is too
long - INSERT INTO ...

A file which contains the text has a size of 9244 byte. Are there any
restriction for the length of a TEXT column.

Thank you for any response.

Erwin

Re: SQL-Statement is too long

From
Jason Davies
Date:
Erwin,

This is probably because you have PostgreSQL compiled with the default blocksize, which is 8k. You can recompile with a
largerblocksize, but I think it may be configurable in version 7.1. It's not the JDBC driver's fault anyway :)

Jason

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:52:26PM +0100, Erwin Ambrosch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Postgesql 7.0.3-8 and the postgresql-jdbc2.jar to talk to the
> databse from within Java. I tried to write a quite long text into a TEXT
> column, and got the following SQLExcpetion:  The SQL Statement is too
> long - INSERT INTO ...
>
> A file which contains the text has a size of 9244 byte. Are there any
> restriction for the length of a TEXT column.
>
> Thank you for any response.
>
> Erwin

Jason Davies

jason@netspade.com

Attachment

Re: SQL-Statement is too long

From
Barry Lind
Date:
Erwin,

Prior to 7.0, postgres only supported sql statements that were 8K long
(or actually blocksize long which could be from 8K - 32K, but is 8K by
default).  That restriction was removed from the server in 7.0, however
arly versions on the 7.0 driver still had this restriction.  This bug
was fixed in later 7.0 versions of the jdbc driver.

thanks,
--Barry